battery - 98% capacity already?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cinek, May 29, 2011.

1. cinek macrumors 6502

I got a 2011 brand new mbp 13" about 6 weeks ago. I checked my battery status with coconutBattery and it's showing that the capacity is only 98%. I use it as a desktop pc but I always let the battery go down to at least 4% before charging and I always charge untill it's full (the green light comes on). I tried to calibrate it yesterday - left it to die for a couple of hours then left it charging over night. Is this normal? I'd expect the capacity to be at least 99%

2. KwanMan macrumors regular

it fluctuates a lot, don't worry about it

3. mape2k macrumors regular

Perfectly normal.

This should answer most questions.

4. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

It's no big deal, the percentage will fluctuate often.

5. cinek thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, was getting a bit worried there. How low does it have to be, before apple would look at it/ when should I start worrying? I'm asking this now so that I won't have to create a new thread in the future :)

6. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Mine is at 98% as well and have had it for a couple of weeks as well. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The health is just a good estimation. Plus were talking about 2% discrepancy, or about 9 minutes difference with a 7 hour battery.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

There's no reason to drain your battery fully everytime. You just take away the life from it. You should keep it plugged in whenever reasonably possible. Just make sure to drain the battery to at least 75% once a week or so. Otherwise just leave it plugged in when you can.

10. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I've had mine for two weeks and it's t 96% currently. But I guarantee you as soon as I plug it in, it'll jump back up to 97 or 98%. It definitely fluctuates a lot. Don't worry about it. Just have fun using your MacBook.

11. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Mac laptops don't charge until the battery hits 95%. Also, since the battery isn't in use or actively charge, it will slowly drain itself even when on AC power all the time.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It won't charge if you plug it in at 93% or higher. It has to drop below 93% before it will charge again. For details, see the Battery FAQ.

13. PwcrLinux macrumors newbie

My macbook pro 17" i7 does have automatic re-charging when it's dropped to 95% in full plugged at all times.