Battery Acting Up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zillicah, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Zillicah macrumors member

Alright, this is strange...

I saw that my battery would not charge pass 97% even though it says the battery is charged. So, I restarted with the adapter plugged in and nothing changes. Then, I unplug to power adapter until it reaches 95% and plugged it back in. Now, it's not going passed 95%. It says "battery is not charging"

What's going on? What can I do? Anyone had any experience with this?

2. Zillicah thread starter macrumors member

ok then i unplugged the power adapter for a few seconds not it says it's charging but at 95% it says it will take 1 hour to charge AHH

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think the power management system doesn't charge the battery if it's over 95% capacity. If you go down to 94% and then plug it back in, it should charge up to 100%.

4. Zillicah thread starter macrumors member

it still has not moved from 95% and it says it's charging.

5. Prospekt macrumors regular

Try re-calibrating the battery. Drain it to 0 and charge up again.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Uhh am I the only one this sounds normal to?

It's not supposed to start charging when it's above 95%, only if it's before 95%. Say it's on 90%, it'll charge up until 100%, and it'll do it much more slowly since it will make the battery last longer.

I don't really see a problem.

7. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Tristangage is on the right tracks here.

What you are experiencing is called Trickle Charging and depending on what generation of MacBook/Pro/iBook/PowerBook you're using it may kick in at different points; although Apple appears to have settled on 95% recently.

Trickle Charging prevents wear on your battery by charging the last few percent rather more slowly. If you drain to 96% and plug in again, your computer will not bother to charge back to 100%. If you did the same to 86% and plugged in, the battery would Trickle Charge.

All in all it is a good thing that helps to preserve the life of your battery.

Hope that helped. Wolf ∑:•p