Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaraHiHi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
Hi.

I have a Ti PowerBook G4 that I purchased new two years ago (January of 2003). It has 1 GB SDRAM, and I'm running Panther 10.3.7.

A few weeks ago, I started having the following problem:

I plugged my PowerBook into the wall. The battery, as far as I knew, had around a 67% charge. After plugging in, the status indicator on my screen showed the infamous "Calculating until full..." thing. ALSO, my adaptor light did not go on...no green, no amber...nothing.

I ran the battery check command in terminal, and my capacity seemed to be decent for a battery two years of age. (I unfortunately did not copy down the information I recorded...but I do recall that my capacity was around 3200 or so...and the rest of the information, Amps, Current, Voltage, Flags, being seemingly off based on a comparison with a friend's terminal information.)

I tried resetting the Power Manager, and that did nothing.

Anyway, I went and got a new battery thinking that it was the problem. Put the new battery in, and it's doing the SAME exact thing. The adaptor light is still out, and the indicator still says "Calculating until full..." I get the following information from the battery command in terminal:

"IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=4149,"Amperage"=0,"Current"=811,"Voltage"=15036,"Flags"=325})

While the battery has not been able to charge, I've been able to run off of adaptor power (sans light) no problem.

I'm thinking that I might try getting a new adaptor next...but the problem seems more involved than that.

I also ran a battery of tests on TechTool, and found nothing with that either.

Anyone else experience a similar problem? I am reluctant to bring it in for full service, as my dorkness needs the computer for school, and a self-remedy would be easiest if at all possible...

I greatly appreciate any help shared!

--Sara

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.