Battery advice....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bse, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Bse macrumors newbie

Now being the very proud owner of an iPad 2 for the last 6 weeks, I am finding 99% of the time I have access to mains power. Am I doing the battery any harm by keeping it at 100%. Should I still let it run down completely once a month ??

2. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

apple recommends to drain it once a month or so. "keep those electrons moving" ... but youre not doing anything all that harmful.

plus, if you have it connected all the time, i guess you really dont need to worry about the health of the battery anyway :p

3. Bse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I shall carry on using the mains plug ..... :D

4. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

5. avrilayse macrumors newbie

6. Bse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link ...... Reading through it, it seems the right thing to do, lots of partial charges with 1 complete discharge a month. The less you charge the battery the longer it should last. :D

7. TLewis macrumors 65816

Well, lithium-ion batteries like lots of little charges than a few big ones. It's not how often you charge, but how much you charge each time.

8. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I ruined my MBP battery by keeping it plugged in and charging for most of its (very short) life. After 6 months it would only hold a charge for about 30 minutes. I finally replaced it after 14 months, and Coconut battery showed it as having 35 charge cycles by that time. Fortunately a nice man at the local Apple store took pity on me.
    Since then all my battery powered stuff gets used 'off-grid' much more, and only recharged when necessary. I would advise not keeping it plugged in.

9. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Frankly, I suspect the "nice man at the local Apple store took pity on (you)" because he realized you had a faulty battery, not because you harmed it by keeping it plugged in. At six months your battery should have held a charge no matter how you treated it short of keeping your MBP submerged 12 hours a day.

11. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Aren't Apple batteries guaranteed to one year? So if your battery goes bad before that they have to replace it.

12. merveceylan macrumors newbie

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Most people are a little OCD at first but you will calm down later. I just charge mine when it needs it, about once a week.

No matter what you do it will not make that big of a difference in the end so just enjoy your iPad and relax!;)

14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Speaking of batteries, I'm a prospective iPad 3 buyer...

Are the iPad 2 batteries really up to par with what Apple says? Do you get an average of 10 hours?

15. xraytech macrumors 68020

Actually frequent charges is better. Simply set it to charge every night befor you go to sleep.