Battery and 38mm??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Brett1203, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I have the 42mm SS and my wife just yesterday bought the 38mm Rose Gold Sport, I finally talked her into trying one on at the Apple Store and she loved it so we got her one.

Here is my question, it came running OS2 and we bought it around noon and by 5:00 it was in power reserve and we charged it to 60% and by midnight it was dead again. I unpaired her watch and rebooted the phone and watch and paired it again and today she put it on around 10:30 this morning and now it's at 40% (it's now 8:12pm) and she only used it once today to look at some texts. I don't think this is normal but I know the 38mm has a smaller battery than mine, but I've used mine several times today and I'm still at 60% and mine has been off the charger since 7am.

Should I take it back to Apple for a swap? Since its within a few days can I return it for a new one without getting a refurbished one or should I actually return it and get another one?

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Not normal, if its like that for a couple days, exchange for a new one

3. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

They will do an exchange right as long as we bring the box, charger, etc and not give us the refurbished watch only since we just bought it?

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Correct. Do it as an exchange. They do not do on the spot replacements for the apple watch, so it has to be an exchange.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As above your within 14 days so they should refund onto a gift card and then you can repurchase. If you and your wife use your watches in a similar way then if you hit 60 at the end of the day she should be around 50-55%

6. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Do I tell them why I want to exchange or just ask for a refund then buy another one? If I tell them it's because a battery issue will they try and warranty replace instead of just giving us a new one since its just a few days old?

7. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Well, that depends. When you first pair the watch I'm sure it's trying to install a bunch of apps and the like, especially if the automatic download function has been left on.

60% for just shy of 10 hours isn't unreasonable, but perhaps a tad low; back when I had a 38mm, I would use around 65% for around 15 hours. Keep in mind that even if she's not actively using the watch, there are still background processes being run that will eat the battery, as well as how often she's looking at it for the time.

In the stores I've been to, they have generally told me that they cannot process it as a straight exchange. Like even when I gone to exchange one watch band for another, they first do the refund before selling me the new watch band as a separate transaction. Granted the circumstances are a bit different, but I imagine that would extend to situations like this as well.

If anything, be upfront with them. Tell them you have reason to believe the battery is faulty out of the box and would like to get a new one, seeing as it has only been a day or two. If they suggest a warranty replace (I'd doubt it but who knows), tell them that you don't want to do that as it's a new purchase and you'd rather not have to wait weeks in order to get the watch back. If you're honest and upfront and they still insist, then I'd be polite and simply ask to return this watch and then look for another associate and ask to purchase a new watch to avoid any further hassle.