Battery and GPS questions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Spainask27, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Spainask27 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    First of all I'm Spanish, so sorry if my English is not that good!
    I just bought a 38mm Apple Watch Sport Edition (my wrist is too small for the 42mm one lol) and I have a couple of doubts about battery and GPS use.

1. I'm a student, so to avoid distractions I leave my phone home when I go to the library. So for the watch to measure my 5 min walk from home to the library, do I have to turn on the Workout app or is not necessary? Does this use the GPS too?

2. I do a 1-1.5h workout every day, about 1h lifting weights and half of in-door cardio, also without the phone (as I go straight from the library to the gym). While I do all of this, the GPS is also working? Or only if I turn on the Workout app and tell it that I'm going to run or whatever?

3. Will this few walks and in door running drain the battery too much? Specially if I listen to music from the watch while doing it.

Thanks and sorry again for my English!

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

1) A 5 minute walk is ...... well just a short stroll. If you are doing a 'real' outdoor cardio walk (20 minutes or more at a 'brisk' pace or higher) then you would need to start the Workout app in Outdoor Walk.

2) GPS is only *active with the Workout app in Outdoor Run, Outdoor Walk, Outdoor Cycling or Open Swim.

*Other apps may use GPS but so far none are available.

3. Spainask27 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would measure your 5 minute walk once and then not use the GPS again for such a short excursion. I have a series 0 apple watch and I don't take my phone with me on my runs that I know the route/mileage.

5. Spainask27 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What exactly do you want to measure? The watch measures your activity level at all times (which it reports as active calories). This does not use GPS. If you want it to measure your heart rate, you should run a workout. If you run one of the Indoor workouts or Other workout this will not use GPS, but it will turn on the heart rate sensor, which uses a lot of battery power. That said, most people report that they are able to do an hour or so of workout every day and still have the battery last all day.

7. Spainask27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Night Spring!
    It depends, but mostly HR, so thanks for ur answer.