Battery Argument

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mano21, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Mano21 macrumors newbie

Mano21

I just got my mac about a week ago. I'm currently arguing with my grandmother over whether it's better to leave the MBP plugged into the adapter all the time or let it drain the battery. Your thoughts please?

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The best thing to do is actually a little of both. Using the battery decreases it's life, but so does just leaving the computer always connected to an outlet. I recommend not arguing about it and just using it how your prefer to use it, without worrying about the battery's life.

3. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

arguing with gma doesn't sound cool....but both IMO

4. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Li-Ion batteries should be plugged in as much as possible to avoid decreasing the life of the battery.

However, it is also important to cycle the battery every 1-2 months to allow the battery a workout.

All in all, I would just use it as you please - but beware that the more cycles you have total the closer your battery is to requiring replacement. I think the new battery takes up to 1000 (?) cycles on avg?

5. frumbert macrumors newbie

Battery use

I just replaced my 2 year old MBP battery with only 26 cycles on it because the maximum capacity was less than half of the original amount. I operated it predominantly on AC power for most of the 2 years. On investigating, I found this article on Apple's website that speaks to this issue:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
    Basically, it recommends that the battery be cycled regularly. The best situation is to run on battery for an hour or so, then plug it in. Here is another article that describes how a Li-ion battery operates:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Do what apple recommends, and ignore all the others theorys.

7. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Once a week I'd take it off the charger and drain it until it recommends plugging in.

8. Joemero macrumors regular

I run it on battery only while it sleeps, and plug it in when i use it. Plan on doing a complete battery calibration as apple recommends once a month too.

9. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I agree.

In this case, Apple knows best IMO. How many people on this board understand this battery tech better then Apple?

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Especially considering that they designed this battery technology, the individual cell management, they know how to best keep it going.

11. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Just replaced a 3 year old battery on a 15" mbp. Had only 100 cycles on it. Was only lasting 35 minutes playing an iTunes song on battery. Felt it should have lasted longer...