Battery at 0% but still going strong.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 15danielp, Aug 5, 2009.

1. 15danielp macrumors regular

I was trying to calibrate my macbook pro (late 2006) and the usual "reserve power" indicator came up to which I usually wait until the computer goes to sleep.

Sleep never came, and was going strong for over 30min with 0% battery life before just now...the computer died (not sleep--turned off).

Should I worry about this. Should I have put the computer to sleep manually?

2. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

no it just means the calibration was off. I cycled my battery fully last night and it was bang on today when it was hitting zero. Should be fine for the next cycle
    :)

Is your computer new (4u)?

3. 15danielp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, good to know.

No, i've had it for two years. This had never happend so I got worried. I really don't need the battery that much, so I was mostly concerned about the computer itself, that something was wrong.

My battery only lasts about 40min anyway. Longer this time since it never went to sleep.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The battery percentage is only a guess or estimate and from the sounds of yours, its in need of a calibration. I generally don't calibrate my battery only because I think deep drains are more harmful to the battery then knowing how much juice is left.

5. 15danielp thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. I was under the impression that calibration would help with battery life. Obviously it wasn't helping me so maybe I'll stop the regular calibration.

6. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Actually running the battery dead is good if you don't do it too often, calibrate it once a month or so and it should be fine.