Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
My Apple Watch Series 7 is 35 days old, and battery health has dropped to 98%. Obviously 98% is fine, but it’s the rate of decline that worries me. This is my 4th AW, and it doesn’t seem normal. I charge at night with optimized battery charging.

How normal or abnormal is this? Thanks!

Reactions: Ram65

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
My Apple Watch Series 7 is 35 days old, and battery health has dropped to 98%. Obviously 98% is fine, but it’s the rate of decline that worries me. This is my 4th AW, and it doesn’t seem normal. I charge at night with optimized battery charging.

you mean you bought it 35 days ago, right, don't know the manufacturing date.
I always get AC+ and just don't worry about the battery health ...

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Weird, my S7 was 96% after a year.

Check it a bit longer, if drops faster - go and ask Apple support

Reactions: QCassidy352

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Rate of decline isn't something to watch. In fact, it's best not to check battery health ever, as watching it won't make it go up.
Well I’d like to know if something is wrong. I got it from Amazon with the holiday return period, so I can still send it back if it’s not right.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Probably to be expected for an S7, as the battery was likely manufactured some time ago.
It would not be normal for an S8, which would have a more newly manufactured battery.
Batteries can decline with age even if never used.
I suppose you could return and replace it, but you may then miss out on any discount you may have received?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Well I’d like to know if something is wrong. I got it from Amazon with the holiday return period, so I can still send it back if it’s not right.
Two weeks isn’t enough time. I would never be concerned about a health reading of 98%. If there is truly a problem, it will show up over time and Apple’s warranty will cover you.

Reactions: kitKAC

chiefs1968

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2016
I purchased a series 6 44mm stainless steel new on Ebay March or April 2022 and today it still is at 100%.So its obvious I would have it checked out or return it to Amazon.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Not all batteries come 100% from factory. I had an iPhone come 96% from factory. Most I’ve got are over 100% but some have been under. I’d watch it over time and get AppleCare+. Batteries lose capacity fastest in the first year. Usually slows down after.

I hear you though if my watch showed 98% in first few months I’d not like that. I wish we could see more battery info of the watches like coconutBattery.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
My series 7 SBTi was purchased new a little over a year ago at introduction and it is still at 100%. I will be keeping another year for sure.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Two weeks isn’t enough time. I would never be concerned about a health reading of 98%. If there is truly a problem, it will show up over time and Apple’s warranty will cover you.
Not as well as people would like. Apple only provides battery warranty service if it is less than 80% health. So it could get to 81% health, possibly in just a few months, and Apple will deny warranty service. I think for most people this would not be a very satisfactory outcome. Many people, myself included, have had their watch get to just above 80% before the warranty/AppleCare expires.

Last edited:
Reactions: QCassidy352

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Not as well as people would like. Apple only provides battery warranty service if it is less than 80% health. So it could get to 81% health, possibly in just a few months, and Apple will deny warranty service. I think for most people this would not be a very satisfactory outcome. Many people, myself included, have had their watch get to just above 80% before the warranty/AppleCare expires.
And you can extend AC+ to go month to month and not worry about battery life and other mishaps…

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Oh this ain’t normal at all . My AW6 did the same I had apple care plus I made some excuse and they sent me a new watch .

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Worry not.
My 11 Pros health declined dramatically the first year I had it, but it’s levelled out and still works fine.

• Haha
Reactions: addamas

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I have had this happen with iPhones too.. My Series 4 is at 79% and while it lasts for at least 14-16 still, the Ultra is calling my name..

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Mine is 9 months old and is at 91%.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Probably to be expected for an S7, as the battery was likely manufactured some time ago.
It would not be normal for an S8, which would have a more newly manufactured battery.
Batteries can decline with age even if never used.
I suppose you could return and replace it, but you may then miss out on any discount you may have received?
Good point. I did get it for a very good price. I guess I will stick with it and probably get AC+. Thanks, all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.