Battery backup is less (Its draining quick)

macpied

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2018
Noida
I have purchased a Macbook air last month, after few weeks, its battery is draining high , my usage is only chrome surfing, terminal, and itunes, As i have heard it gives a 10 - 12 hours of backup. But i am noticing a high battery drain.
Any suggestions/advice , what can be the issue?

Audit13

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
6 hours isn't bad but you may be able to do better.

I used to use Chrome but I switched back to Safari to sync everything with my iPhone and iPad. I find battery lasts a bit longer too.

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
First i feel sorry for you buying the old air and second chrome is a power hog. Try safari

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
I didnt buy old air , i bought new air .
Good. It was misleading as its just on the market.

Anyway. Did safari help?

As your laptop is just 2days old its early to claim short battery life. Let it finish indexing and keep an eye on activity monitor.

Last edited:

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
The new upgraded 2018 MacBooks Air has only been available to purchase for a few days. So how could OP purchase it “last month”. It must be a new “old style” air.

macpied

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2018
Noida
U
The new upgraded 2018 MacBooks Air has only been available to purchase for a few days. So how could OP purchase it “last month”. It must be a new “old style” air.
Yeah I purchased 2017 MacBook Air

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
Now i feel sorry again about your new old air :)
How does it feel for u buying a 8year old design a month before refresh?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Many reviews have stated that they get around 8 hours which is well below the Apple claim. Lets see if the level of complaints in the area rises. I am sure Apple will review and address with an update.

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
Many reviews have stated that they get around 8 hours which is well below the Apple claim. Lets see if the level of complaints in the area rises. I am sure Apple will review and address with an update.
Review the old Air? I would be surprised if one engineer is left. That ship has sailed long ago

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
Have not idea what you are saying. Today Apple says 13 hours. Most reports I have seen put it at 8 hours.
OP bought the 2015/2017 model. I don't think that apple will optimise this one any longer as the new model is now available

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
First i feel sorry for you buying the old air and second chrome is a power hog. Try safari
Good. It was misleading as its just on the market.

Anyway. Did safari help?

As your laptop is just 2days old its early to claim short battery life. Let it finish indexing and keep an eye on activity monitor.
Now i feel sorry again about your new old air :)
How does it feel for u buying a 8year old design a month before refresh?
Review the old Air? I would be surprised if one engineer is left. That ship has sailed long ago
OP bought the 2015/2017 model. I don't think that apple will optimise this one any longer as the new model is now available

It’s possible that the OP is happy with his/her purchase and may already know that there is a 2018 refresh.

But perhaps you could PM them, and maybe send a letter through snail mail? Perhaps follow up with a fax? Some email? Maybe hire a plane and do some sky writing?

You know, just to be sure that they’re getting the message, because when you’re so subtle and dance around the issue it’s possible that it can be misconstrued.

Reactions: sosumi99

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
It’s possible that the OP is happy with his/her purchase and may already know that there is a 2018 refresh.

But perhaps you could PM them, and maybe send a letter through snail mail? Perhaps follow up with a fax? Some email? Maybe hire a plane and do some sky writing?

You know, just to be sure that they’re getting the message, because when you’re so subtle and dance around the issue it’s possible that it can be misconstrued.
we’re already sitting next to each other and petting our 13”er

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
I have bought brand new air , it last 6 hours
This is not that unusual. I would give it more time to let indexing and other background tasks on a new machine to settle down, but if you're doing a lot of browsing (especially given the way so many sites are poorly coded now), six hours is about what you can expect, given what I see with MBPs and MBs.

Apple once led the pack in terms of battery life, but they've fallen behind now. I suspect the incentive for optimizing battery life for Intel chips is now gone because Apple is likely to go to their own silicon in another cycle or two, and that's where they're putting their engineering efforts. I hope that we'll then see much better battery life on their laptops, but that's no help for those of us who need to buy their machines today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.