battery ban on planes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by puckhead193, Dec 28, 2007.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I can "kinda" understand. Lithium Polymer batteries can REALLLLLY burn should they fail. So in a closed pressurized cabin - with potentially toxic fumes from a fierce fire -- would you want to be there?

Also - I've only internationally flown twice - but even in coach - there were power taps available.

3. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Also - I've only internationally flown twice - but even in coach - there were power taps available.[/QUOTE]

This certainly depends on the airline, the type of plane and the age of the plane/last time they did a cabin upgrade. On NW 747's for example, I have only seen power in business class seats. On Continental, 777's and 767's, I have see power in premium coach seats.

If you check seatguru.com, you can get a rundown of what planes have what power sources based on the airline.

To the OP, if you can't get a flight of noise canceling out of your bose headphones, you should get a different pair. I have a set of Sony's and I have gone on multiple trans pacific and trans atlantic flights and only changed the battery one time.

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So, I'm a bit confused by the article. The DOT doesn't address non-rechargeables like Energizer lithiums, but the yahoo articles indicates that those won't be allowed. I'd really like some clarification, as I always carry an extra box in my camera bag (sometimes two boxes).

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Will something like a typical AA lithium show up on a metal detector? If not, they are just the right size to hide up your butt.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This is incredibly stupid. I especially love the supporting evidence. "Well, there was a fire last month that we couldn't prove the batteries WEREN'T the cause of..."

There has been no recorded incidents of such batteries starting a fire on the plane that I know of, and even then, why not just require the batteries be kept in a plastic bag as the airport officials admit in the article would prevent problems?

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Luckily we can still bring butane lighters on board. :rolleyes:

This ban (or limit, really) only effects spare lithium batteries. You are allowed to have as many electronics equipped with batteries as you can carry, plus two extra. ...That should be plenty for nearly any scenario.

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

There are always passive noise reduction headphones - and some work much better than the active style. Canal-phones, or in-ear monitors can block some serious outside noise - and provide extremely good audio quality. All while not requiring any batteries to accomplish this. (as they're essentially earplugs with drivers inside them)

Some people do not like these - or they can be uncomfortable for others - but I don't think I'll ever buy another set of cans again, since making a good set of IEMs.

9. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Judging by your avatar, The Donald has one up there now!

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yes they will. I have left batteries in my pockets by mistake before and set off the detectors.

11. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I have to admit I'm surprised you're allowed to take any onto the plane, especially in the light of the recent attempted bombings. A computer battery tome would seem a perfect place to hide [delibarately] explosive materials.

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That's why in the states, many airports make you power up your electronic devices, x-ray them, and even "sniff test" laptops for explosives.

p.s. Don't ever go to a gun range, then to an airport without washing your jacket first.

Trust me on this one.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Not really. My K100D takes 4 batteries, and I use Energizer Li AAs, as they last just about forever. But, they are a lot cheaper at Sam's Club than any other retailer. I don't have a membership, but my SIL does, so I buy a bunch every time we visit them (once a year). I'd like to know that I can take my still wrapped purchase home with me.

There is a lot of stuff that is the right size for that. A book would also be big enough. There are also a lot of batteries that aren't nearly big enough to contain a significant amount of explosives.

14. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

As long as you aren't carrying car batteries onto airplanes I don't believe there's case for suspicion. But seriously, this sucks. I don't really want my MBP to die on long flights (MagSafe airline thingy, I know, but still...) and I don't trust my electronics to the baggage people, as well as my batteries. I paid $100 for some of the batteries for my camcorder, don't make me leave them at home. :(

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Sort of. I just got in last night from a week in Costa Rica. Outbound it wasn't a problem, but getting on the plane in San Jose yesterday they confiscated the one in my pocket. Strangely enough, they missed the 3 others in my carry-on bag. I also had a big 20 pack of Energizer lithiums in my bag as well and that went through no problem.

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB