Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
I know this is discussed in many places, but it's still hard to get definitive answers -- for those of you who are knowledgable, is it better to top off your battery frequently whenever you have a chance, let it run down most of the way (I know you don't want to drain it completely on a regular basis), or just part of the way?

I don't obsess about getting the absolute max battery life, but if it's not much of a cost in convenience, obviously I'd like to prolong its life. Especially since the new iPad is basically one big mega-battery.

Dukat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I know this is discussed in many places, but it's still hard to get definitive answers -- for those of you who are knowledgable, is it better to top off your battery frequently whenever you have a chance, let it run down most of the way (I know you don't want to drain it completely on a regular basis), or just part of the way?

I don't obsess about getting the absolute max battery life, but if it's not much of a cost in convenience, obviously I'd like to prolong its life. Especially since the new iPad is basically one big mega-battery.

Everyone has their own opinion, but from all I've read the Li-ions we use work best topped off. Once a month or 2 you can run them to 0 and then charge to full to calibrate your device so it more accurately displays battery charge.

I keep my devices plugged in whenever I'm at my desk and have never had a battery issue.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Everyone may have their own opinion. However there is only one correct way.
Use it and charge it. lio-ion batteries prefer shallow charges asmopposed to deep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.