Battery booster for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eawmp1, Jun 12, 2009.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I am the type of person who always runs low on battery power at the most inopportune times without an outlet to be found. As I can't just swap in a new battery in the iPhone, what are users experiences/recommendations of the various add-on battery back-ups out there. :confused:

2. The General macrumors 601

The Incase PowerSlider doubles your battery life. It's pretty great.

3. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

How do you think it affects (negstively) your current reception?
    Will it possibly affect the magnetometer on the 3Gs?

4. The General macrumors 601

There are some reviews on Apple's website saying it made their reception poor. I would imagine the electronics could have some effect on the magnetometer.

5. Jon619 macrumors newbie

I have the mophie juicepack air, its relatively thin and light and really does double your battery life. great case.

6. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

It seems that all the battery packs that tend to cover the back of the iPhone will cause some reception issues. I've heard mixed reviews: some saying that the packs totally took away reception (the Mophie, especially) and others who said it wasn't too noticeable.

I'm really interested in the Mophie, and I've met people who actually own it who have no complaints about reception. The negative reviews scare me off though.

7. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I'd suggest the 3G Juice. It's an external type of battery that you just plug into the 30-pin port on the bottom of the phone. It's sufficiently powerful; if I plug it in when my battery is between 10% and 20%, it charges it all the way back up to full and still has a tiny bit left. Perhaps best of all, it's a Lithium Polymer battery (rather than Lithium Ion), so it doesn't naturally "leak" charge when it sits unused for any period of time. Supposedly you can charge one, throw it in your glove box for a full year, then plug it in and find it still has a full charge. I've never left one that long, but I can tell you I've never seen any discharge after sitting at room temperature for 4-6 weeks at a time.

As a side note, when I first got an external battery, I got the Kensington one. I was very disappointed with the amount of charge it would hold and provide to my phone, so I returned it. I read about the 3G Juice and decided to give it a shot. I love mine.

P.S. -- I also love that I can plug it into my phone when I need it and keep my phone slim the rest of the time rather than make it bulkier all the time as many of the battery/case combo things. IF that sort of thing is important to you, it's another thing to consider.

8. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

How worried do I need to be about the battery boosters the plug into and extend from the bottom? On the go I would think they could torq and damage the connector.

9. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I tend to run low on battery too by the end of the day.

Rather than adding bulk and possibly decreasing reception to the phone I've chosen the alternative of having an in car charger. If necessary, I can always use the USB cable that plugs in to the cigarette lighter in my office to charge my phone.

10. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

11. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

Yeah, but if I am away from car/outlet/computer...what then?

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68030

I have the 5000mAh unit from www.imaxpower.com. It charges my iPhone up almost four times and is built well and looks good. Less than $60.00.

13. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

I like the idea of an AC chargeable backup battery. No w=evidence that use of these thing is in any way harmful to the iPhone's battery or electronics?

14. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I have the Solo battery for my 3G and it is great. I just keep it charged and pop it on the phone when needed. It is small and you can keep it with you. It recharges the phone battery while you are using it. Go to www.richardsolo.com for the battery.

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I have the Incase Power Slider, It's okay, but it's really big. I wouldn't pay $100 for it, so I got it for free.

16. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

B/C of possible reception issues I am NOT interestd in a battery back case. I think I've narrowed down my chioces to the Richard Solo 1800 or the IMax IMP500. Any personal experiences (good or bad)???

17. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That one's all the way at accessories section, specifically here.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Has anyone tried using a solar powered charger (looks like a case that your iphone is in)? I've seen some on Amazon. Just wondering if any might be worth having.

19. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

If you find your battery getting low or dying all the time, I recommend something like this. You will never run out again and makes a good conversation starter when you have it strapped to your back.

[​IMG]

20. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

^^^^LOL
    The bulge in my slacks from carrying that thing in there would really draw a crowd! :D:D

21. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

lol

22. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air for my 3GS and I think it is excellent. It is the thinnest of the Case/Charger combos. That thinness brings with it a smaller 1200mah battery as opposed to the larger 1800mah batteries in the more bulky case/charger combos available. Personally I prefer sacrificing some battery power for the thinner, lighter form-factor of the MJPA. The smaller form-factor Juice Pack Air still allows for pocketablilty (at least IMO) and has already protected my 3GS from a pretty severe drop on to the street. Case has a slight ding on the top corner but 3GS is without a scratch. Some have complained about the Juice Pack Air's Micro USB connector but frankly it hasn't bothered me at all...charges both the 3GS and the JPA at the same time and will most likely become the universal charging connector in the world (including here in the USA)...

The MJPA seems to give me about a full charge and a half from about the 10% warning and although there are cases with bigger batteries that will charge two, three and even four full charges, I have no need for that many chargers before I can get to either my car charger or a wall socket somewhere and I do not like the added weight and bulk the bigger battery case combos bring ...all in all a very fine product by Mophie and it's glossy look is very attractive (albeit a fingerprint magnet much like the iPhone itself)...

So far I have had intermittent reception variation (at times the signal indicator on 3G will vary a bar) but I have not dropped any calls or lost any of the 3G internet speed in my traveling from San Diego to LA (which I do at least twice a month)...

Couldn't be happier thus far with the MJPA...

23. Harley-Rider macrumors newbie

Harley-Rider

I like the Griffin Power Block. I have several small portable battery backups, but none of them fit onto the phone with case on. This one does. It is small and easily fits into a pocket. It is only 500mamp so it doesn't have a lot of punch to it but it will charge the phone very fast.

Attached Files: