Battery bug in safari or something else causing fast drain??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dictoresno, Mar 7, 2015.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

On iOS 8.1.3, is there a safari bug that's causing a crazy battery drain? I've noticed that I can lose 1% every few minutes while browsing using safari. I've got many jetsam events in diagnostics among other errors. I've deleted some suspected game apps that were a huge battery/data drain, but the fast drain remains.

I can't get more than 6-7 hours of use out of my iPhone 6. I've already turned off background app refresh, always have decent signal strength, done a full drain and recharge, reset all network settings, reset all settings and even a full restore. In the past 45 mins, I've lost over 20% battery. It cost me 5% just to write this up. Apple already ran a diagnostic on the phone soon after I got it and said everything appeared fine. I see some folks getting 7-8 hours if not more out of their 6 but I always seem to fall short. I can almost sit here and watch it drain 1% every minute or two. Anyone else ever solve this fast drain??[​IMG]

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Looks like Tapatalk is your major issue, not safari.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, Safari doesn't seem to represent all that much usage there.

4. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I can't see any fast drain while using Safari, but as usual the battery drain is most likely influenced by network signal strength , especially while using 3G/LTE.

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I have the exact same issue! Except I range more like 5-6 hours not 6-7... Brightness is anywhere from 10-30%. Safari is my main app, and it drains about a percent every 2-4 minutes. For Apple's claimed "10 hours" of charge, the phone would typically drain 1% every 6 minutes or more. I pretty much have given up on trying to repair my issues, so I'm currently just dealing with 5.5 hour cycles at the moment. My iPad mini 2 regularly gets 8.5-10 hour cycles with much more heavy usage and higher screen brightness (about 50%), so I don't know what the issue is.

Even with those short cycles I get through the day okay, it just bothers me knowing that most people would be at 75% with 2 and a half hours of usage at the end of the day while I'm at 40-50%.. I just have to charge nightly rather than every other day with my iPad. Now, if I didn't have my iPad, making it through the day would probably be a lot harder. So thank goodness for that. Maybe if iOS 9 is a bug fix/performance update battery life problems will be solved or at least alleviated? Especially safari problems, tab refreshes, battery drain, etc?

7. joneill55 macrumors 6502

TapaTalk is the battery hog for sure. Dump it!

8. that be me macrumors 6502

There is an issue where if you have multiple tabs open, occasionally the phone will act like it's trying to load a page (gives the spinning wheel animation). While it's doing this I've noticed my battery drain significantly faster than usual. Only way I've found to resolve this is to close Safari, remove it from multi-tasking and re-open it. Been like this since, iOS 7.

9. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

sorry for the late reply, the forum was down at 4am this morning when i was trying to reply.

tapatalk definitely ate my battery yesterday. i used it hard, and its the newest beta. it most likely killed my battery in an unusual manner. however if i switch to 7 day view, most of my use if safari by far. i get constant spinning data wheels, and it eats through data like the iPhone 5 or 5S never did. tons of jetsam events also. just appears that while browsing safari, i can literally watch the battery indicator drop. 10 hours???? yea right. i would say 5-6 is more like it, 7 being tops and using very conservatively.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I would say it's OK. 7-8 would be more in line with good, while more than 8 would be great.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

That's highly dependant on network coverage.
    Where I work I can't pass the 6 hrs limit. In my hometown I can reach 8-9 hrs.
    Same usage, different signal strength.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yes, there's definitely factors like that which can affect it all. As well as general usage (difference between mostly using it for music vs lots of Facebook or streaming videos or something like that). Sometimes even simply mostly being in one location most of the day (with WiFi let's say) vs moving around throughout the day can make a noticeable difference too.

13. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have Tapatalk with multiple Forum Subscriptions. No unusual usage. Try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Use Mercury for a few days as your Browser and see if that helps--:)

----------

Is your Brightness set high? Try 50%--:)

14. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Yeah I would even go so far as to try like 30%. I can't get 8 hours of usage unless I'm at minimum to 10%, Bluetooth off, cellular off, and using safari a lot less. Mail already is set to manual and location services are stripped down to almost nothing, background app refresh is off as well. My phone gets wonderful standby time and "low signal" doesn't hardly show up either, it's just using the thing at all drains the crap out of it and makes it get a bit warm.

But yeah, try disabling cellular when you are on wifi, or even try airplane mode+wifi. Lower your brightness, avoid using tapatalk, turn off Bluetooth, background app refresh, strip down on unneeded location services and notifications. If that doesn't help at all, not sure what to do then. Try hard resetting the phone with the home and lock button, or setting up as new.

15. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

If it makes you feel any better I too have numerous jetsam events and only get about 7 hrs usage on my 6+

This hold the home and power button to reset the phone reminds me of the old days with blackberry where the solution to everything was to pull the battery #

16. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I don't remember having to pull batteries on my Blackberries. 8700c was my first. But my first Androids like the initial Nexus One required it a lot. However they were always rooted.

17. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Battery bug in safari or something else causing fast drain??

My brightness is on auto, which is usually always below 20% or so. Never on full brightness. I deleted some other apps that had some jetsam events and upgraded to 8.2. I'll see if it helps a little.

And yea, I remember the days of ripping the battery out on my blackberry as the norm. Used to fix a lot of issues back in the day lol.