Battery Calibrated Still not convinced

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SCOTTGAZ9, Mar 24, 2012.

1. SCOTTGAZ9 macrumors regular

SCOTTGAZ9

Ok drained down to 0% and charged up through the night took over 10 hours using Battery Doctor:eek:

Started at 100% closed down all unnecessary apps and locations etc been browsing only nothing else for around 8 mins iPad has dropped to 97% dunno if this is normal compared against the iPad 2 it just seems to decrease a lot quicker charge time as I type this it drops to 96% lol

I,m running absolutely nothing but dropped 4% in 10 mins :confused:

As stated the battery life in my iPad 2 was brilliant I never charged it for several days sometimes and it was being used a lot.....

Anyone experiencing the same I'd hate to see this after some heavy usage /gaming etc.

2. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Why don’t you post again after the battery has completely drained and see how much time you got out of it? You’re awfully quick with the forum post button. (after 4% really?)
    I’ve always found that the rate at which the battery indicator drops down isn’t linear, despite all things being equal.

So give it some time and see how you fare. :)

3. SCOTTGAZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

SCOTTGAZ9

I've been watching it all week mate not impressed hence the calibration as mentioned on here by others :) I just feel the iPad 2 based on experience to date held a far better charge...I expect the screen will take more juice but that's the reason for the bigger battery..:rolleyes:

4. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

What is your brightness set on? That can effect battery life greatly. I've been browsing the web for 30 minutes straight and my battery hasn't even dropped 1%.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

6. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Check to see if your push notifications are on, if Bluetooth is turned on, Location services is turned on, cell data, wifi. All these things use battery constantly even if you are not using them.

7. SCOTTGAZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

SCOTTGAZ9

30 mins only light browsing and it's dropped 8%:confused:

All turned off mate push is set to manual

8. oli356 macrumors 6502

I'm concerned about mine as well, it doesn't seem right compared to my iPad 1. Mayne just because I'm looking at it more, need to disable the percentage!

It drained 10% last night, (5 hours), screen off, Wi-FI on just playing music from a radio app. That seems fine though. But when I'm browsing or on games it seems like my iphone 4S.

9. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Yea, that isn't normal. I'm approaching an hour now and my percentage just dropped to 99% while I was typing this post. And I think that's due to the brightness increasing because I have moved into a more brightly-lit room.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Return it. I started at 100% about an hour ago and after do the Internet on WiFi I am now at 96%.

One thing is that it stays at 100% for a while and would vary on different iPads. Why not use your device a few days or a week and see how it works. You can always return for another unit.

11. imacken macrumors 65816

Frankly, it sounds lie you should be making a trip to an Apple Store. Battery should not be an issue. A lot of people are seeing an improvement over iPad2 (myself included), and the same performance at worst, so the kind of figures you are quoting sound unusual.

12. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Try doing a hard reset (hold the lock + home buttons until it switches off, release the buttons when the Apple logo appears).

If that doesn't do the job, return it.

I got around 8-9 minutes of usage for each 1% of battery today whilst browsing this forum. WiFi on, brightness set to 30-40%, Bluetooth off, location services off etc.

FWIW I'm using a black 32GB, WiFi + 4G model.

13. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Give it some time. You need to cycle the battery a few times.

14. PHILIP1193 macrumors regular

How bright is your back light. This seems to the biggest factor affecting battery life?

15. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Does Battery Doctor work or is it really just a gimmick

16. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Im so sick of these threads. Turn off the battery percentage as stated above and see how long your battery lasts. Apple said the battery lasts 8-9 hours. They never broke down how much juice the battery loses per minute. Seriously, OP, save yourself the headache and just turn off the battery percentage and enjoy your iPad. It'll last as long as Apple states it will.

17. sectime macrumors 6502a

I agree, what a life of privilege some posters must enjoy. It's really pretty sad, try going for a walk or something. Seriously, 4 percent, what is the error rate in the software? Very few post they have returned their iPad, so the complaining must be the reward. At least there are no captialsations or exclamation points YET! ;)

18. noobinator macrumors 601

19. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

20. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Check your brightness. Can't emphasize this enough. DisplayMate found that a high brightness setting had a much bigger impact on drain than with prior iPad models. Apple's battery life estimates are based on 50%. That setting seems a little dim at first, but once you get used to it, it's actually easier to look at for extended periods.

21. SCOTTGAZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

SCOTTGAZ9

It's a forum mate a open place for discussion you don't like it don't read or post simple.

JUST FOR YOU UBERFAN !!!!!:p

22. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm more troubled by the 99% after an hour usage - that is more troubling than one that drops by 6%. Because these don't run for 100 hours per charge - I know batteries vary a lot, but what weak management / capacity monitors can't detect 10% change in capacity?

I'm actually cycling mine a couple more times, because I only got 4 hours last charge, and was NOT gaming / downloading, just watching video @ 60%.

23. SCOTTGAZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

SCOTTGAZ9

Back on topic away from the keyboard warriors or Steve Job wannabe's:rolleyes:

Ipad was exchanged today Apple genius ran a diagnostics and there was a fault with the cells...

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It takes a while for batteries to break in. You should wait a month before you start obsessing. :D

25. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Turn off that battery percentage. There is already enough info out that says the % is not accurate. There was an article that said the iPad 3 charges up to an hour after the indicator says 100%.

These posters are right. Turn off the % and enjoy your iPad. That said I've been browsing, emailing, posting, and watching videos for 30 mins and I'm still at 100% but my iPad 3 has been on the charger all morning. So 8% an hour says someone ain't right.