battery calibration (MBP 2010)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickeames, May 15, 2010.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

I have a 15" i7 MPB and I thought I calibrated the battery right, but now I'm not sure.

- charged it up full
    - ran it down on battery until it slept
    - let it sleep for 5 hours
    - charged it up and let it stay that way

I just took it off power and the most I get from the reading is six hours. I was somewhat expecting more. Did I calibrate incorrectly?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sigh.

If you can read and followed the instructions you more than likely did the calibration correctly.

The problem arises from a misunderstanding of how the battery "time remaining" indicator functions. It's based on your machine's usage at a small sampling interval, updated every few minutes. If you're doing something that takes a lot of power, it will show less time remaining. If you stop that process, time remaining goes up.

Use the % remaining indicator and time how long you actually get under the advertised conditions. I bet it will be comparable.

3. hassoon macrumors regular

hi, well ya that's how u calibrate...! upon my calibration my battery reached (P.S: i didn't edit or photoshop the pic):

Attached Files:

4. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, well now I wonder if i did it incorrectly. I am at 4:48, 84% remaining and I am just using safari, no flash, integrated graphics being used. :(

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Even calibrated, the 'time remaining' isn't particularly accurate. Just chill out and enjoy your new computer!!!!

6. BenXiaoHai macrumors member

Hey guys i just depleted the battery of the mbp and let it slept overnight. I'm charging it right now, and just wondering if using the mbp during this last stage of charging affects the calibration?

7. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Exactly. I don't bother to calibrate for this reason. I also turn off the time indicator and just leave the battery icon. If the time number is there I pay too much attention to it. The reality is that the battery works well and I'm happy with how long it keeps going.

8. MeWants macrumors newbie

MeWants

I am wondering the same thing. Can someone help?

I am on my 4hour30minute time frame post mbp going to sleep on its own and pressing the battery indicator makes the last led blink green for 3 seconds or so and then dying out. Does this mean anything? Shouldn't it not respond if the battery is completely drained?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can use your computer while it's recharging.