Battery Calibration MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robanga, Mar 10, 2009.

1. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

This is quite likely a silly couple of questions, but here goes. I am trying to get one of my two MBP batteries more life with some calibration, but getting said battery to ever read over 99% is the challenge. As I understand it, the meter must go to 100% for the battery to get its " full state" reading. Any tricks there?

Aside from that, can you have the battery out of the machine and not connected to power for its "five hour rest period" once it has been reduced to 0%. I'm assuming that this is ok

2. pkagel macrumors regular

I just follow apples suggestion and drain my battery half way down now and then.

3. robanga thread starter macrumors 68000

robanga

I do the same, but also try to do full calibrations from time to time. In the past I have seen improvements of 6-10% in capacity when measured with iStat.

4. robanga thread starter macrumors 68000

robanga

Bump - For calibration, any idea if the battery must be connected to the power source for its 5 hours of empty rest time?

The 100% thing I figured out.

5. NickM macrumors 6502

How could it rest empty for 5 hours if you plug it into the power source?

6. robanga thread starter macrumors 68000

robanga

Lol good point - What i meant to say was "connected to the computer" ie still seated in the computer. I would imagine it makes no difference but the tech note does not say.

7. NickM macrumors 6502

If the plug is connected, or seated in the computer, then it would be charging the battery.
    Don't plug it into the wall/power source. Let it sit for 5 hours after using it and draining the battery... so it can trickle off whatever small charge it has left in it.

Check out this link (if you haven't already):
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490