Battery calibration not doing anything

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nowords, Nov 1, 2008.

1. nowords macrumors newbie

Ive had my alu 2.4ghz mb for 2 days now and ive calibrated the battery twice and it doesnt seem to be doing much! the estimated time left is still jumping around between 2hr and 4 hrs when fully charged and unplugged...

any ideas why this is?

2. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

you prob have calibrated the battery properlly

the reason its constantly changing the time left is because of what your doing on the mac.

for example. if you turn on the mac, with no bluetooth or airport turned on, with no programs running, just having the computer on idle with brightness turned down lowest setting, volume off, backlit keyboads off. it will say it has 5 hours left. that means, it can keep being idle for 5 hours before it runs out of power in the battery

however if you had bluetooth,airport on, and had numerous programs running, and had ipods, external hard drives, etc plugged in, with brightness up full, backlights on, volume up then obviously its consuming more power from your battery therefore lowering the time left you have before all power runs out, using these settings, applications, and external hardware etc :)

so just try minimize the number of things your doing, if you can't then buy an extra battery to give you more time if your travelling, or if you have access to power then just keep it plugged in :)

the time remaining constantly changes depending on what you're doing on your macbook

hope that answers your question :)

3. nowords thread starter macrumors newbie

aha! logical really isnt it? :D

this is my first mac and so im coming from vista, where my laptop claims it still has 2 hours of battery life when fully charged and actually lasts for 15 minutes..

cheers for your help!

4. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

glad i could help :)

this is my first mac too! also coming from vista.
    the batterys are horrible on them compared to the macbook. i find that the time remaining is very accurately shown on macbooks. lets not think about vista anymore,

enjoy your mac! :)

5. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

You should be able to check the mah rating in your system profiler and compare that with the normal capacity to see if there is a large discrepancy between the two.