BATTERY CALIBRATION problem!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdhatt, Jul 3, 2010.

1. jdhatt macrumors regular

so i just finished completeing the last step in the calibration guide, i followed it right out of the box. the last step is charging it to full one last time. as soon as it hit green i unplugged and turned it on, but for some reason the max time it showed was 5 hours, and then like 10 minutes later it dropped to 3:35 and now its back at 4:46?! im barely running anything or doing anything!! what did i do wrong?

2. M-B-P macrumors regular

I calibrated my battery and got very similar results to that. It seems that the battery reading would show about 7-9 hrs [even more at times] before calibration and only about 4-7 after calibration(I have only had about 6/7 cycles up to that point). Does this mean I should get it checked out by apple?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) and select Show All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

nothing is wrong with your MBPs

the battery estimator fluctuates A LOT depending what you are doing at the exact moment and specific processes that are running, nothing to worry about

you didn't kill your battery nor is your MBP defective

5. Modernape macrumors regular

Turn off bluetooth, turn off keyboard backlight, turn screen brightness down to 50% make sure nothing is downloading right now (or quit utorrent/transmission). Wait for 15 secs. Now what does the battery monitor report?

6. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

As previously stated, the battery time indicator is based on the application you are using as a specified time, reflective of the CPU load. It's a better idea just to show the percentage, which gives a more stable, accurate picture of battery life.

7. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

i got it to report 7 hours then its back down to 3 and yes utorrent is off and the brightness is even less than 50%...

also, is it normal for a macbook to make a faint click noise once or twice when booting up?

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

yes it is

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The reason it jumps all over the place is because your always doing different things on the computer. For example, if you let something download for an hour, the prediction will be stable. But if you multitask and use multi apps, or multi tabs in a brower, it will jump all over the place. If I were you I'd use the percentage meter, not the "time remaining" meter.

10. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

ok thank god...it does that EVERYTIME, so its fine? im freaking out...apparently its the optical disk drive checking if theres something in it or something?

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol, computers make funny noises all the time, its nothing to freak out about. Its just doing its thaing :D

12. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

my battery still isnt lasting very long :( all im running is like utorrent and surfing the web and at times even utorrent off...screen brightness is usually 50% or less....at night its on the lowest and my macbook just eats away the battery....im not even getting the usual 5-6hours people seem to be getting more like 4- 4 1/2....is there something wrong with my battery?!?! should i get it checked?

13. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

have the screen at 50%, have craigslist up on your browser, close utorrent, BT off

your battery should go up, Transmission seems to lower my battery life when downloading

as long as the battery health is decent then there shouldn't be anything wrong

make sure you're not using the discrete video card on your 15"

14. Beefy macrumors member

15. BeestieHalls macrumors member

Just throwing it out there but apple recommends you charge it all the way, and leave it plugged in for at least 2 hours after its done charging-not remove the adapter right away

And dont forget to let it die even more once it goes to sleep, they say for 5 hours or more

And I always use percentage. The time left indication drives me crazy

16. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

yea thats the battery calibration thing....first thing i did.