Battery Calibration question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Psilocybin, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Is it ok to let your computer to charge over night and during the process where you need to let the battery run down restart the Mac and let it go to sleep?

From what I understand is as long as the battery is drained for 5 hours is this correct?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's usually easier to charge it during the day, while you're using it, then in the evening, unplug and run on battery until it sleeps/shuts down, then leave it unplugged overnight to get the 5+hours in. Complete steps in the link below.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. Psilocybin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

I understand that I was just curious if I can allow it to sleep and restart it while Im running the battery down

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

During the draining process, let it run down without restarting or sleeping. If your Mac is in sleep mode, it takes much longer to drain it. You can use Caffeine (link in the FAQ) to keep it from sleeping while you're draining it.

5. Psilocybin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

But if I choose to allow it to sleep I can correct? I have ran it Down all day but it has went to sleep a few times and I restarted it

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just install Caffeine so it won't sleep and let it finish draining. It shouldn't be a problem, but if the calibration process doesn't work as desired or needs to be interrupted, you can always do it again, as stated in the FAQ. The FAQ will really answer all your battery/power/charging/calibration questions. Take a few minutes and read it.