Battery Calibration Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msw123307, Jul 8, 2007.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

These are two steps for calibrating your macbook as stated by apple.

"Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.
    Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more."

My question is, the first sentence tells me to keep the computer on until it goes to sleep. then the final sentence says i can either let it sleep or turn it off? which is better for optimal battery performance? once it runs down im unsure of what to do...turn it off..or leave it in sleep mode all night?

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I usually let it go until it turns itself off (sleeps) and you can't wake it. Then I plug it in. Wake it. Shut it down. And let it "rest."

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I let it turn itself off, and then leave it alone for 5+ hours (usually over night, when I don't need it). Then, in the morning, I plug it back in so it can charge.

5. ericbeezy macrumors newbie

keep in mind that battery calibration does not help your battery perform better. it simply just helps your macbook accurately read the battery life you have left (amount of mAh).

6. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

Is this necessary with the new SR MBPs?

I only ask because I don't see it stated anywhere in the manual (unlike with my old MB)?

MadDoc,

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Calibration will always (well, maybe not always, but for the foreseeble future)
    be needed. It just helps your computer give you an accurate percentage, nothing more.