Battery calibration step #5 clarification please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kettlecorn, Jan 23, 2011.

1. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

From Apple:
    "4) At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.

5) Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

6) Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again."

Does step #5 mean that you can a) EITHER turn the computer off and connect the charger right away OR let it sleep for 5+ hours and THEN reconnect after 5 hours? b) EITHER let power it down OR sleep for 5+ hours and regardless of power off/sleep it must be left alone for 5 hour?

basically i want to know if i can use the computer after it dies on me in the next few minutes or do i have to shut it down/sleep and let it be for 5 grueling hours?

Thanks

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Step 5 indicates that if you're using your Mac when the battery power is low, you don't know when exactly it will sleep or shut down, so save any work you have. You can keep using it during this time, but you're better off surfing the web or listening to music, rather than working on a large spreadsheet or document that you could lose changes to with a sudden shutdown.

Whether you keep using it or just walk away, let it keep running on battery until it sleeps or shuts down, then leave it that way for 5+ hours before you plug it back in. If you're using it at the time it sleeps or shuts down, do not restart it. Leave it off until 5+ hours have passed.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

4. kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, followed the instructions.