Battery Capacity After One Year

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ressac, Jan 22, 2013.

1. ressac macrumors member

mbp13" 2011 late , bought in january 2012
    Battery capacity decreases over this year as the shares of the apple
    it is normal, 86% health at 114 cycles?,
    used properly battery and even doing the recalibration

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. Daniel L macrumors 6502

I don't know what my roommate has been doing but he's at 350+ cycles and his battery is at 94%. Looks like he unplugs it from the wall every time it's fully charged.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not necessary, since charging stops once the battery is fully charged. It cannot overcharge.

5. leman macrumors 604

Apple batteries should retain at least 80% after 1000 load cycles by design. If you get under that quicker, you should ask Apple about a battery replacement under warranty. So far I don't really see a problem as long it stays at that marker for next few hundred cycles.

6. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Obviously the battery can't overcharge but I'm theorizing that perhaps because he uses the battery as soon as it's done charging his battery is in decent shape as opposed to the OP's battery.

I'm still above design capacity at 40 cycles but my Macbook is only 15 weeks old.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not because he uses it as soon as it's charged, but the fact that he runs on battery more frequently than the OP.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

8. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

my 2010 13 inch macbook pro is at 90%. I use it unplugged 80% of the time. Im a little bummed out it doesnt last as long as it did however it still has more Wh then a aftermarket replacement battery. Your battery is dying quickly imho.