Battery Capacity Making Me Rethink Model

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Aug 16, 2014.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I was all set to get the 4.7, but if the rumors of an 1810mAh in the 4.7 and 2900+ in the 5.5, are true, then I will probably go for the 5.5. It also kind of depends on how big the 5.5 is. I currently am using a 5.2 inch LG G2 with a 3000mAh battery and it lasts all day plus.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Your comment made me smile.

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Same here. If (and it's probably a big IF) the batteries are that different, I'm holding out for the 5.5"

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Surly a bigger battery on a bigger screen iPhone does not equate to it lasting longer than a smaller battery on a smaller screen? A larger screen will require more power.
    I have an iPhone 5 from day 1 and the battery still lasts all day 80% of the time. When it doesn't, its usually because I have been doing a lot of gaming.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You really need to get a hobby or something and not use your phone all day.

Not wanting to hurt one's feelings but if you are going to use it that much, you might need to do a mid day charge. Picking a phone for it battery size in not optimal.

6. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Rumors. That's the key word.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

If the leaks are accurate, the bezels of the 5.5 won't be as large as the 4.7. That would help minimize the size difference.

8. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Only 24 more days to go until the rumors stop and we can make informed decisions! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Until they start all over again with the 6S.

10. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

It's not a screen size: battery size isn't a 1:1 ratio, so it is very likely that the 5.5 will last longer. For example, although the Galaxy note has a bigger screen than the Galaxy S5, but the Note gets significantly better battery life because the increased battery size outweighs the power drain from the larger screen

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Au contraire. My i5 doesn't last much beyond three hours if I'm using 3G. That's pretty lousy and especially so when my partner's Android phone lasts a good 8 hours when doing the same things using LTE.
    Sure my i5 will last five or six hours doing those same tasks over WiFi, but it's a mobile phone yeah?

12. I7guy macrumors G5

I've read lte us more efficient than 3G. My 5s lasts all day+ on lte as long as I don't use gps for hours, although I do have a mophie in emergencies.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

3G sucks power on any phone.

I suggest you switch over to Android. :eek:

14. TechViking macrumors regular

Don't worry about it, you can still choose the 4.7 model if it will charge via solar/light :cool:

15. SR71 macrumors 68000

This is what people seem to forget about, and just like the OP, the larger battery size of the 5.5 inch are causing me to rethink my size choice... Even if that may mean a longer wait for the 5.5 inch model.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Why, because I dare criticise battery life on my iPhone? The iPhone 5 when running on iOS7 has truly dreadful battery life. Hopefully the iPhone 6 will be MUCH better.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

Don't know why your battery life is bad. Coworker "complains" i5 gets charged every other day.

18. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

You have nothing to worry about. There is no 5.5" iPhone. Apple made the choice for you.

19. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Is the 6s rumored to have better battery life?

20. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

yeah idk why people get such terrible battery life... try turning off background app refresh and bluetooth. i'm jailbroken running over 20 tweaks and my phone gets to about 20% every night but i charge it when i sleep so its no big problem.

21. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

As many have said, battery life is based heavily in usage... That being said I would like it if my phone battery lasted a complete day from the time I wake up at 630am to going to sleep at 11pm, the way I want to use it... I would like to have an iPhone that I can just use and not think about the battery...

Sure on office days, or in my car or my house it's easy enough to keep charged, but as often as not I'm out and about, for 8-10hrs and end up with a dead phone.

Any step in the right direction will be an improvement in my books.

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yup, same here (if) I was interested in getting one.

Now the 5.5 will have a faster CPU and 0.8 bigger display, but I don't think it will be enough to balance it out vs the 4.7. Apple wants to enter the phablet market in a big splash. They are almost forcing our hand to choose the superior iPhone 6 model with a better cam and 128GB option. Ideally, 4.7 is the sweet spot for one-handed use. But is it worth risking for a near 40% larger battery and potential 3-5 hrs worth more of screen time usage? There are very "little" (no pun intended) advantages the 4.7 model has over 5.5 except better one-handed use. I know because I prefer my larger Mi 3 over the HTC One with a 4.7 inch screen. I hate getting paranoid and monitoring the battery closely more than carrying a larger phone. I just hope Apple can keep the dimensions more like LG G3 than OnePlus One.

Yesterday, a guy sitting next to me was carrying the Asus Zenfone 6. It cost about $240 here but I didn't realize the battery capacity is 3200 mAh vs the Zenfone 5's 2100 mAh. Once you go over 3000 mAh with a 5.5 inch screen or lower, it is very hard to go back to a smaller device with the smaller battery. We get near double battery stamina. I got 8 hrs screen time on my Mi 3's 3050 mAh yesterday mostly Wi-Fi, browsing, music, a few calls, texts, and downloading videos. It could've reached 9-10 hrs if I wasn't downloading videos so much. My HTC One would've been dead by mid-afternoon. Only the single-core iPhone 4 on iOS4 ever gave me 10+ screen time usage consistently. Very few portable gadgets whether from PSP, PS Vita, smartphones, laptops, portable media players, etc ever reach 10+ screen time usage except Haswell-powered laptops or tablets like iPads. And since the iPhone 6 (phab) is closest to a tablet-like battery, it becomes a no-brainer for endurance.

I estimate the iPhone 6 (phab) screen time usage could range from 8-12 hrs vs the iPhone 6 (mini) at 6-8 hrs. Bigger difference than S4 vs Note 3.For me, it is about going for the best model over the most convenient in one-hand or pocket.

23. jimbo1mcm thread starter macrumors 68000

I did a computer enhancement on your new avatar and it is definitely a 5.5 inch iPhone.

24. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502

Ledsteplin

I think Apple pretty much has it figured out where both new models will get about the same battery life with all other things being equal. But even if the 5.5" model gets a bit more, price and pocketability will be my concerns. I want 128 gb of storage space. But if rumors hold true, only the 5.5" model will get that. And that would be out of my price range. I'll probably end up with the 4.7" with 64 gb. That would be huge for me, as I currently use a 16 gb iPhone 5. And I don't store much music like many do. My upgrade with Verizon is not until February. So I have time to read the reviews, consider my options, and add to my piggy bank.

25. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Battery life depends on usage - and also the signal strength and frequency bands the carrier uses at the location where the user resides.

My iPhone 5 gives different battery life spans at my home and at my brother's residence in a different state. Same phone, same network carrier, same apps.