Battery capacity on tbMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesimplelogic, Jan 2, 2017.

1. thesimplelogic, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

thesimplelogic macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

Deleted this because I thought I was an idiot, pretty sure the support on Apple thought I was too lol - basically noticed the full charge capacity is different to the charge remaining whilst the battery is full on my MBP, compared to when I was looking at my rMBP.

Although the battery on my rMBP has 500 cycles ish, the full charge capacity and charge remaining whilst full only differ but 200mAH. However, my tbMBP which is brand new ALSO has that differences whilst it is fully charged, even though it is a brand new computer? Interesting I don't think I have particularly noticed any difference in battery life but I guess we'll see!

Full charge capacity is 6900 and the charge remaining when it was at 100% was 6600...

I apologise for my confusion :p

2. leman macrumors 604

I have seen plenty of the reports here on the forums that some laptops come with a "bigger" battery than the spec says. It seems there is a fluctuation in the manufacturing process. Consider yourself lucky :)

3. thesimplelogic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for clarifying that! My question for Apple support was why the full charge capacity was stated at 6900 but the charge remaining at full charge was 6600 - I think the techinician thought I didn't understand that the battery started to drain once the laptop stopped charging... think she thought I was a bit of an idiot but whatever...

In response to what you said, it'd be interesting to see what the fluctuations are, and what the full charge should actually be - I mean, when it was at 100% it wasn't at the "full charge capacity" - is that normal?

Sorry if I am getting confused, everyone!

4. leman macrumors 604

P.S. check the voltage of your battery (should be around 12.5V) and multiply that with the amper-hours of your battery capacity (6.6). That will give you the capacity in watt-hours. The design capacity is 76Wh. That's the number to compare to.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2017 ---
    P.P.S. it is possible that part of your confusion with apple suport is the terminology. The way you speak about charge I at least would understand as the current charge, while I think you wanted to talk about the current remaining capacity as opposite to the initial design capacity...

5. thesimplelogic thread starter macrumors regular

Probably is - it's quite late at night where I am so I probably am a bit tired or should have waited until the morning... oh well. Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to ask. Now that you mention that, I probably should have said the current full capacity of the battery vs the initial design (or stated) capacity of the battery. Gaaahh I probably sound so stupid now!

Interestingly enough, when I worked that out the voltage of my battery was actually 12.7, not 12.5, which means the capacity of the battery should theoretically be approximately 83Wh...

6. Shir0 macrumors newbie

How did you find out what the voltage was?

7. thesimplelogic thread starter macrumors regular

System Report under power - if I remember correctly it's at the very bottom of the first "block" of info.