Battery Capacity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JBGoode, Aug 8, 2019.

1. JBGoode, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

Does anyone know what the correct battery capacity should be for the 2019 Air?

Mine says full charge capacity of 4434 mAh in the system information but I thought I had read it was over 7000.

Edit: It seems this is correct. It just seems low to me.

2. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

System Information (Apple Menu > About This Mac > System Report... > Power) seems to think that Full Charge Capacity is 4470 mAh.

Curiously, this is the same number reported by coconutBattery.

Do you have some justifiable reason to believe the number should be way larger? Or are you going after something that you *cough cough* "read on the Internet" [sic]?

3. BLBL macrumors 6502a

What is shows as battery manufacturer in 2019 model?

4. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

coconutBattery says the battery manufacturer is Simplo.

I do not know if Apple is sourcing batteries from multiple suppliers nor do I really care.

5. ptimickey59 macrumors newbie

ptimickey59

good evening everyone,

just a remark on battery capacity, I discovered coconut following several topics on this forum.

Then I installed it on my air 2018 2 weeks ago from now.

At the beginning I was a little bit disappointed due that CCNbatt indicated that I was on 95,9 design capacity. My air is 8 months old, but I made me reason that I had maybe degraded the design capacity due that during several months I downloaded steam and playing hours of dirt rally and odd world. The fan was running a lot and I know games are battery consuming. I also watch a lot, very very lots of video on youtube in 1080...

So I started make some researches, I was doing : put on charge my air during 2 or 3 hours, then when reach 100% charge I disconnected the charger. Consuming the battery until around 10% , sometime less.

I saw during research that is was better to let the charger connected on the laptop as often as possible and just use the laptop on its battery if not possible to keep charging .

I started to do as is: stay connected 100% using time during day, only disconnect the charger if I go to the sofa for surfing by night (as now) but not during long time (only reach 90 - 85% battery then I stop using the mc or reconnect charger)

result: design capacity started too....grow!

95,9 at the beginning, then 96,4, then a few days after, 96, 9.

Tonight I'm at 97% design capacity. It is not 100% but I am satisfy to see that. I was not expecting the design capacity to going better, just wanna stop decreasing .

Just a témoignage from my using.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, I am French.

KR.

Mickaël.

6. BLBL macrumors 6502a

I've seen them using DSY in these too and usually those have been stronger (showing higher full charge capacity) even after more charge cycles. I had SMP in my previous Air 2018 and it was weak, but it had been sitting long time in warehouse before I got it and battery was completely empty right out of the box (I'm still not sure it should have been depleted completely in about 5,5 months). Battery lost a lot of capacity within first couple weeks and few charge cycles. I also have SMP in my current entry Pro and it is pretty weak under load and fcc drops a lot during load (remain high if very light load). Again I've seen peoples with DSY battery in their entry Pro reporting them staying strong under high load, so they seem more stable and strong. Coincidence, I don't know?

7. ptimickey59 macrumors newbie

ptimickey59

8. BLBL macrumors 6502a

I think design charge capacity is 4381mAh, if it is still the same as for Air 2018 (I think it has not changed).

I bet it gets the information from the same place and does not just pull the numbers out of some own estimation tables and battery analyzing methods. There is really no reason because Apple has included that function in MacOS.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2019 ---
    Strong one? Does it stay strong after few charges?

9. JBGoode, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019

JBGoode thread starter macrumors 6502

JBGoode

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Previous Airs have had much larger batteries and 4470 mAh seemed small for a laptop that's supposed to last 10 hours (which I doubt) so I thought I had a bad reading. Your sarcasm is noted and thanks for the helpful reply. :rolleyes: Please just move on next time if you have nothing useful to say.

10. ptimickey59 macrumors newbie

ptimickey59

Honestly my battery is strong, as I told yesterday design capacity has increasing with new way of use.

I haven't measured the on battery time but by using it a couple of hours on several days I was charging it 1 or 2 times a week. So I guess my battery was hold 8 or 10 hours before reach 10%...