battery capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aeboi, Jun 18, 2010.

1. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

According to coconutbattery, it says that my macbook pro 13" 2010 has a battery capacity of 5818 mah with the original capacity of 5770mah
    it's only a few days old

is that normal? I thought these were supposed to have 63.5 watt hour batteries

TIA

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Watts and mAh are different measurements. the mAh will change depending on how you treat the battery, and can often be misread - which is why you are recommended to fully cycle the battery once every 30 cycles or so (by letting it FULLY go flat, past sleep mode into deep sleep state).

the Wattage is how much power the battery can "give" at a constant rate, it cannot go higher then this number. the CPU will require a certain amount of Watts under load, the motherboard, the HDD, the RAM, the GPU, everything require Watts to run.

just ensure that you attempt to charge your laptop as often as possible, letting it get <20% each cycle will give you less lifetime out of the battery :) thats all you need to worry about!

3. aeboi thread starter macrumors 65816

aeboi

thanks

another question

I'm in the middle of the first calibration but istat is reporting a battery life of 4:30 hours on a full charge
    I'm not doing anything intensive and the screen is only at 40-50%
    Will calibration "correct" this?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it would be a good thing to check the amount of CPU usage from Activity Monitor (its installed on every mac), and sort by the CPU column to see if there is anything fishy using up the battery life. sometimes FlashPlayer (SafariFlashPlayer) may use up CPU cycles (they are known for this) or it could be something else such as youtube, converting movies or what have you. check that first - i would assume that a fair chunk of your CPU is being used.

5. aeboi thread starter macrumors 65816

aeboi

thanks again, I guess a flash video brought the battery life down from 9~ hours on a full charge to 4
    didn't know flash could be that intensive

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That's why it's not on the iPad. IT will eat up one of your CPU cores by itself.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

why do you think apple isnt supporting it anymore ;)

its terribly coded for Macs. its just a thing to be weary of, ensure that you close the browser down when you are done otherwise you will get a nasty surprive 4hrs later haha!

i am very jealous though! 9hrs. wow. i only get 2hrs out of my MacBook Pro (2006 model). :D

enjoy man!