Battery care: Drain it all the way, or charge it every day?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Terberculosis, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Terberculosis macrumors newbie

So which is it?

I don't claim to know much about lithium ion batteries, and i was wondering which charging method will extend the battery life best. I typically run the battery down mayne 30 - 50% a day. Would it prolong the battery life (time until I need to replace it) if I recharge it every night, or if I go ahead and run it down into the red each time.

Thanks.

2. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter. Use it however you need and want to.

3. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I second that. Theres no reason to be particular with how you charge it. The life of the battery will be the same regardless.

4. hecks macrumors regular

5. KFCTR macrumors member

KFCTR

When I had my pocket pc, I used to charge it each time the battery reached 50%. At first it was okay, but then it drained faster and faster, then I realised I should let it go down to 5% battery. My pocket pc then ran better and longer. You should do that to.

6. Nicowoodcock macrumors newbie

Thats with a Pocket PC though.
    Big difference..

7. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Yeah completely different. Charge every night, every other night, let it run, whatever.

8. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

As long as you got the AppleCare, it especially doesn't matter. If the battery doesn't perform more than 50% from original you can replace it.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Follow the guidelines for whatever battery technology your device uses.

The touch uses lithium ion. From your description of having to drain it to get the best performance, it sounds like your Pocket PC used nickel.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Charge as often as you can... letting it run down all the way shortens the life of the battery. I'm sure someone can show you documentation about this. Also, it's good to let it completely drain and re-charge your battery to 100% about once a month to re-calibrate the battery status indicator.

11. gowanis macrumors 6502

ABC = Always Be Charging.

Charge often. I have found this method will give you excellent results.

12. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

I have varied the charging pattern with mine and have found no difference in battery life. It depends what you use it for really.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm not talking about battery life, I'm talking about the entire life of the battery until it does not hold charge at all. If you constantly run the battery down, it will shorten the battery's chance of staying good.

Always charge, run down only once a month to recalibrate the battery status.

Google lithium ion batteries.