All iPads Battery care - questions for maximum battery health/life

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jim L, May 1, 2013.

1. Jim L macrumors regular

I'm a new iPad and iPhone user and I'm a little freaked out about what just happened to my iPhone 5.

2 weeks ago I had to exchange my iPhone 5 at the Apple Store for a new one because it would no longer charge. It was just defective. I recently learned from the Apple website that I'm supposed to run my phone through a complete battery cycle for maximum battery life. The Apple Store employee didn't blame me for ruining the phone, he just replaced it. But I want to take good care of my new one (and my iPad).

My questions are:
    ---Should I let it run down to RED, 20%, 10% or complete shutoff each month?
    ----Should I do the same for my iPad?
    ----If you don't do this, how long will the battery last before replacement?
    ----My iPhone also serves as my iPod (music container). I can't plug it in when I'm driving my Prius without it charging, which wouldn't let me cycle it each month. So I have to do without music for 3 days each month? What does everyone else do? I got rid of my 2 iPods.

Thanks.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Run it down until it turns of every other month then charge it back up to full. As far as the car, just use headphones. Or listen to the radio. Or plug your iPad in for music.

You can also load a movie on it and play that on loop until the battery drains.

3. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Yes, run it down low a few times a year. Also, never charge unless below 70%. And remember, a full charge can last days unless you're doing a lot of intensive stuff with it.

4. kaielement macrumors 65816

With both the iPad and iPhone it is recommended to let the battery drain all the way down at least once a month. Your iPad should last you for days if you are not using 24/7lol. As to the phone I would say just have a couple of CDs on hand so that one a month you can let the battery drain on the phone other then that no real suggestion. Oh and by the way please don't use headphones while driving bad idea and illegal in most states.

5. Jim L thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for the tips.

I use my phone constantly, so it's about a 3 day effort to run it completely down.
    The iPad is not as essential. I'll have to just let it run down then plug in overnight.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Trade it in every year, you'll get a brand new battery among other things and get the highest $ for it you'll ever get. Beats spending $99 + $49 deductible for AppleCare+.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

All the way to shut down. But don't leave it off to too long. Like a car in storage if it sits for hours dead it won't take a charge as easily. I let them sit maybe 10-20 minutes, an hour tops. Haven't have any issues.

Yes, do the same for the iPad. And it's best as much as you can to charge them with the official cable and plug, to the wall directly. Not off computer, not off a USB hub etc.

No way to know how long it will last cause your usage is a key factor.

It's not an issue to plug it into the car so long as you drain it out fully and then charge it fully once a month.

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You didn't ruin your 5's battery, don't worry. It sounds like you had more of a dock issue if it wouldn't charge anyway.