Battery care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wondering, Jul 29, 2008.

1. wondering macrumors newbie

Is it wise to run the power battery and detaching the battery from the mbp while having the notebook switched on? :confused:
    Any more advice for maintaining battery life longer?

2. adversecamber macrumors regular

Don't take out the battery - if you knock the power adaptor you'll lose any unsaved data.

Li-Ion batteries are very low mainentance. Just don't worry about it. If you need the battery, use it, if not, ignore it.

Li-Ion batteries also lose they're charge level over time anyway, so there's only a limited amount you can do to really increase the life of the battery.

3. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

i rememmber reading a thread that had a procedure on how to pro long the battery......can't find it. not really sure if it works though.

4. markgamber macrumors 6502

You're supposed to "condition" the battery once a month by running it down until the computer turns off (which is NOT the same as running the battery down to zero...not a good condition for these batteries and I doubt the computer lets you do that anyway), then letting it sit there like that for a few hours. I forget the details but google "macbook battery conditioning" and I'm sure you'll find it quickly.

5. adversecamber macrumors regular

You'll probably find that's for older Ni-Cad batteries which have a memory effect if not fully discharged and fully charged regularly.

Li-Ion batteries don't have that problem.

6. wondering thread starter macrumors newbie

tanx for the replies, guys :D
    btw wat does the 'coconutbattery' (im not sure if that name's correct) do, is that useful?

7. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

i suggest you don't use it, its just going to piss you off. it shows how much percentage of your battery is left.

8. adversecamber macrumors regular

This configures the computer more than the battery - this process has no effect on the condition of the battery.

If you don't "condition" the battery it just means the readout in the toolbar is less accurate and may sit on 0% for about 20 minutes before the voltage of the cells in the battery causes it to actually shut off.

9. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Not too useful, but interesting. I have it on my computer. It just lets you know how much of your original battery charge is remaining. Pretty easy to understand.

10. MacAfficionado macrumors newbie

I don't know if you guys know, we have Li-Poly batteries in our MBP. The best way to keep it healthy is to keep it charged up. Now this is based on my experience with my RC hobbies (which involves Li-Poly Batts). Yes, calibrate it once a month, but as for me, I just charge it up whenever I can. Letting it deplete completely is bad for it. Just my 0.02 :)