iPhone XS Max Battery case nonsense

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, May 21, 2019.

1. tl01 macrumors 68020

I have had issues with two Apple battery cases for my Max. I have had the cases replaced each time. And each time I go in...the genius says that Apple doesn’t intend for the phone to be in the case all the time. For example...if I am at Disneyland with my kids...I should use the phone battery and then put the phone in the case to recharge the phone. This makes no sense to me. I am not going to use my phone out of the case....or have to bring two cases with me...

Also...they said to take it out to charge the case and phone separately at night. No...not going to do that either. If apple didn’t want the battery also charging the phone then they could have added a switch. My opinion is the battery case should simplify my charging not add additional work.

2. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

What issues are you experiencing? I have had wireless charging issues with mine. As in, the case only charges halfway wirelessly whether it is on the phone or not.

Two cases, same exact issue.

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

My most recent issue was the case was saying the charging cables were not supported by case. But it doesn’t seem to be cables. Two different apple cables in two different cars and also my anker cable in the house.

The first issue was different...issues with case saying it is charging when it is dead....and also not charging the phone when the case has power. I don’t use wireless charging much as I have something on the back of my case.

4. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Hmm. I haven't had any issues with cables or your other issues. I did exchange the first one after noticing the charging problem, but the second is exactly the same.

But I don't use mine daily. Only when traveling and I anticipate heavy use of GPS or other power hungry functions.

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

Maybe your issue related to your phone? They said if the issue persists they would look at the phone. The diagnostics said it was okay...so maybe a software issue? I’m sure they will have me delete and restart my phone.
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2019 ---
    Details?

6. Five_Oh, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019

Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Pretty sure it's not my phone. Case charges the same (halfway and stops) wirelessly whether on my phone or not. I've used four different wireless chargers of different brands.

7. bmac4 macrumors 601

bmac4

Apple has never said in the past that the phone was not suppose to stay in the case at all times. Also that was the big selling point for the first one in the 6s. It charged both at the same time with the lighting cable. I think the Apple genius you talked to doesn’t know what he is talking about.

With that said, my case has been dying much fast then it was when I first got the case back on release. The case shouldn’t be losing its life this fast should it?

8. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

I don’t think it should lose the battery capacity that quickly. I bought mine on launch day... and had had it replaced a month or two later and when they tested the second case...it still had 100 percent battery health. My phone is at 98.

9. Koobs macrumors 6502

Koobs

I bought my battery case at launch and have had zero problems with it. It says on the phone 100% of the time and it goes on the wireless charger every night.

10. bmac4 macrumors 601

bmac4

Yeah I didn’t think so either. The case seemed to be better yesterday. I will keep an eye on it. I have had every other smart battery case from Apple and never have had issues before. I don’t know why this years version has been worse.