Battery case or external pack?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavrick1903, Mar 3, 2011.

1. mavrick1903 macrumors member

2. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I have an external pack, "Gum Pro Power Pack". It works well. I prefer not to keep putting in/taking out my iPhone from a case but that's just a personal preference.

3. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

4. aleni macrumors 68020

i bought mophie juice pack for iPhone 4 and i regretted it! it's so big making the iPhone looks like a Hulk!

the only good thing about it is it makes the grip better and more comfortable when playing games, especially games with virtual d-pad.

the battery life of mophie isn't that great too, it can charge my almost depleted battery only to 65-75%, so no twice battery life.

if i were you, i would get an external battery pack, not mophie's type where u have to attach the iPhone into its case.

5. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

LOL that is hilarious. You're still using that old heap of junk? I got the latest model the other day.

[​IMG]

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I've been using a mophie juice pack for about 2 weeks. I bought it because I'm about to take a trip and I'll be away from my hotel for 20 hours at a time.

So far I am digging it. I gave it a couple real world tests, using a lot of music and internet, etc. It does definitely add some bulk to the phone, but I don't mind. I think the phone is easier to grip now, it's easier to hold to my shoulder with my ear, and I even gave it a good drop the other day and it protected the phone excellently.

An added bonus is the way the mophie redirects the iPhone speaker towards you (instead of just down) while you're not using headphones. I also like that you can sync/charge without removing the phone via the usb cable. It charged the phones battery, as well as the juice pack simultaneously.

As stated earlier in the thread, it will give you between a 70% to 80% charge if you're just about drained. I am a fairly heavy user and with the mophie I can go about 2 full days without needing to charge. I'm rarely in a situation where I can't charge overnight, but it's nice to know I have some backup, especially since I'm headed out of town next week.

There are some other competitors out there, but I recommend the mophie if you don't mind adding a little thickness to your phone.

I found some refurbs on eBay (cosmetic stuff) for half the price, the one I got has just the tiniest little scratch that no one would ever notice if they weren't hunting for it.

My one complaint about the mophie is that it seems to attract an insane amount of dust around the camera.

7. aleni macrumors 68020

one good thing about it is i don't accidentally cover up the speaker grill anymore, :D but damn that thing is so bulky, it makes people around me look at me like i'm using the nokia 5110 phone. :p

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have the mophie pack and the zagg sparq 2.0
    both are great, and have there application

9. Elmer macrumors newbie

Hi Anthony,...its amazing battery case looking great but it take too much space first one was nice to watch,...

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have the Mophie Juice Pack Air for the 3GS and love it. It is bulky, but then again any battery with have some bulk. It protects my phone and I go through the entire day without having to actively manage power (although I admit I never turn blue tooth on). Also, the Mophie gives me enough power to use the GPS on the phone for day hikes. I thought at first I would put the Juice Pack Air only for trips and walks, but now I just leave it on all the time.

Aside from bulk, there are two other minor drawbacks: dust (as mentioned above) and the 3GS Juicepack Air is a bit slippery (the iP4 model seems to be less so). And by the way, I do not notice much of a signal attenuation with the battery case. There used to be debate about this but really I saw no difference whatsoever when I put the case on and I live in an area with a marginal phone signal.

Overall, I prefer the case approach over an external pack - the external pack seems usable only if you're not moving about much and battery case is always there in case of unexpected events such as power outages etc.

11. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

I prefer mine because it's Military Grade, your model isn't. Newer isn't always better ya know!

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

For my iPhone 4, I have a Mophie Juice Pack Air.

I only use it when necessary, like on an airplane trip, where I know I'm going to be using it very heavily and away from a charger. But it's not too ridiculously bulky and adds a good 70% on to the battery life (the "Air" model doesn't quite double the battery life).

13. mophienick macrumors newbie

mophie mophie

I work for mophie, so I get to play with all sorts of things and test them out. I obviously recommend mophie because I work for the company, but I can tell you that if you do get a mophie you can rely on our customer service. This company is completely wrapped around service and continually improving products and service based on customer feedback.

Personally: my mophie never leaves my phone, except sometimes when I want to charge them both at the same time. It's a little bulky, but far more convenient than carrying around an extra battery in my pocket, as well as my phone. Another thing: my phone has not died once since using a mophie. I have never had the thought "oh I shouldn't play this game right now because I need to make a phone call later." I love working for a company that has such a great product, which is why I advocate them so hard, hopefully that speaks a little bit about the company.

14. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I purchased the Mophie on a lark while waiting for service at an AT&T store. I'm glad I did.
    I have the inset toggle set to charge the iPhone 4 continuously and notice it does so for a solid two hours of using my iPhone before I begin to see the "100%" in the upper right corner begin to slip downward.

Once I do I simply take the iPhone out of the Mophie case and use it off and on for the rest of the day.

If I don't use it heavily in the morning it'll last on just the Mophie's charge for the day, mostly.

I recommend it. It is made well and yes, it is a bit bulky but is not an eyesore like other external power sources.