Battery Change?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Jan 31, 2012.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 13", and I was wondering if I could buy a battery meant for a 13" from 2011 and use it in my 2009 model. Is there a difference between the two batteries? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The batteries are not user-serviceable. You need to have Apple replace the battery.

Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's just BS that's intended to increase Apple profits or to eliminate user damage. If you've opened an Apple laptop before, you'd see that the battery has a convenient pull tab and an obvious way to remove it from the chassis. I've done it before, so let's just move onto the question.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not BS. They're not designed to be user-serviceable. I would advise against doing it yourself, but you can do whatever you want with your Mac.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Also, to answer your original question, the batteries are not interchangable between models, as both the batteries and the connectors have changed between those models.

As for why these batteries are not user-serviceable, they lack a significant amount of the protective plastic sheathing that would normally be on a battery (plus the aluminum that Apple had been using around them as well) in order to increase the size of the actual battery. This has resulted in a significant increase in battery life over the older models, but comes at the cost of user-serviceability. Whether you like that tradeoff or not, it is not a BS excuse, but a legitimate safety concern that caused Apple to label the batteries not user-serviceable.

jW

6. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

7. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Its your computer, replace the battery if you wish to save a good amount of money. I used to tinker a lot with my thinkpad, good fun! Just make sure you're grounded.