battery charge - 80% alarm

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gim, Mar 28, 2016.

1. gim, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

gim macrumors 6502

gim

So I'm looking for an App that rings an alarm when my iOS devices are hitting 80% while charging. So far I've only found several apps that would notify me when the device is fully charged. Any chance there is an app out there that lets you set a custom alarm regarding the battery percentage?

Please don't try to teach me anything about batteries and if it's good if you don't regularly charge them to 100%.
    I've had very good experience with the longevity of my batteries when I only used them between 20 and 80%.

I am thankful for every hint regarding an appropriate app.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

For android there are plenty I've not come across any on iOS.

I'll say nothing more as requested ;)

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

OK, also nothing much to add, except a question (no teaching here, either :D )

How did you settle on the arbitrary "80%" as your ideal maximum charge?

Sounds like some number associated with NiCad batteries, but not sure if I remember accurately that far back...

4. gim thread starter macrumors 6502

gim

Well, on a regular day I simply don't need more than 60% of battery. So instead of using the top 60% and going 100% -> 40% every day, I usually go for the middle 60%, so it's 80% -> 20%.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Remember that 80-100% is charged at a different rate too. But cycling the battery once in a while is advisable. (Not that I'm offering any advice. Though it does sound like I am. Damn it)

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

OTOH, if you used 90% -> 30%, your experience would be more consistent, as you would then not "risk" going into the low power mode at >20%. Maybe that's not a concern for you, but there it is.
    Or, 70>10 would be even better, as you would spend a good amount of time in the low power mode, and would normally take longer to use that same 60%.

7. now i see it macrumors 65816

Charge Alarm Pro

[​IMG]

Charge Alarm Pro by John Kowalik
    https://appsto.re/us/hzr2_.i

You can have it ring an alarm (many to choose from) at any % state of charge. Not just 80%.

Caveat is that the app has to be in the foreground to work. No lock screen, not in the background.

So it's good if you want to put your phone on a charger and then leave it undisturbed and then have it set off an alarm at your chosen state of charge....

But if you want to use your phone while it's charging, this app is worthless and won't work.

8. gim thread starter macrumors 6502

gim

Thanks for your input!
    As of today, I am still using an ancient iPhone 4 with iOS 7, so there is no low power mode.
    But I will consider this strategy for my new iPhone SE :)

Thank you so much, this app is exactly what I was looking for. :) Tested it on my iPad Air and it worked flawlessly. It even works when the device is locked, as long as the app is in the foreground when you lock the device. Awesome!

9. now i see it, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

now i see it macrumors 65816

This is ankther really good app.
    Works in the background and you can set low or high alarm (one beep and notification) at any % charge you want.
    I think it's great. Good for charging while you're using it to remind you to unplug or reminding you to plug in while using it (or not using it) at your set level.

Low Battery - Phone battery power glance & notifications by Ben Guild
    https://appsto.re/us/3ed2N.i

image.jpeg