Battery charge & Sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shady825, Nov 24, 2008.

1. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I know ive seen a thread like this SOMEWHERE but i couldnt find it when i just tried searching.

Last night when i went to bed my charge in my battery was 41%, i put the macbook to SLEEP (not off) and when i woke p this morning my battery was down to 38%.
    Is this anything to worry about or is that about normal drainage for roughly 8 hours of sleeping?

Sorry to be worrying about little things but i just had my battery replaced from apple because my original was only giving me MAYBE 2hours on a full charge.

Thanks for the help!

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

When the machine is sleeping, it'll still be on and needs a wee bit of power. That's normal.

3. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

ok thanks!! I knew it used a LITTLE power but i just wasnt sure how much it should be dropping..
    Like i said, sorry for worrying about nothing and thanks again for your help!!

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It does kind of surprise you if you've had any previous gen. Apple notebooks.
    I used to put a MB/MBP to sleep and come back a week and a half later and it'd have juice left. The new ones it ain't so. Apple borrowed more than just the unibody techniques from the Airs it would seem.

5. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

That is actually why i asked.. I dont remember my white MB doing this but i might not have been paying attention cause like i said i did have problems with my first battery on my new MB so i guess thats probably why i was watching the "charge"

6. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Problems?

What kind of problems did you have with your battery?

7. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

From the first day I got it I could watch the HEALTH (not the charge of the battery) drop.. In a few days of owning it my health was down to 89%. I was barely getting 2 hours out of a full charge. Then my health would jump around, I could turn on the mac and see 80% health, turn it off and back on, 92% health, and so on... I brought it in to Apple with a full charge and when the rep saw the "time remaining" they replaced it no questions asked.

I probably wouldnt have worried about it except for the fact I have a friend who bought his the same day as me and his health was still at 100% so I knew something wasnt right..
    Im at 6 cycles on my new battery and still 100% so hopefully all is well!

8. yoavcs macrumors regular

Those numbers are actually pretty good for modern day Mac laptops.

The rule-of-thumb number is 1% battery loss per every 1 hour of sleep. A full battery should give you around 4 days of sleep before it conks out.

You posted 3% in 8 hours which is very nice.

Note, that older PowerBooks used to hold charge like champs. Back in the PowerPC days I could let a laptop lie in sleep for 2 weeks and still come back to a good charge on the battery.

Ever since the move to Intel this hasn't been true, I'm not really sure why.

9. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

This is what i was looking for. Some actual numbers! Thank you!
    Seems like everything is fine then.
    Thanks again!