Battery charge time

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mwcfc1905, Jan 26, 2015.

1. mwcfc1905 macrumors regular

How long do you all think it will take to charge the apple watch battery?

The battery must be about a 5th of the iPhone battery. Does that mean it would be fully charged in about a 5th of the time?
    If so the battery could be charged in half hour or so while you're in the shower!

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It'll be designed for an overnight charge while you sleep.

3. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I would think it charges fast too based on the size. Hoping for an hour and a half at most.

4. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Lol.

No.

That is a convenient time at which for people to charge it, yes... but has no bearing whatsoever on the time taken to charge. When virtually ALL other gadget batteries from tablet, to notebook pc, to smartphone, to power tools support a MUCH more rapid charge time (typically 1-4 hours), and charging faster than that is a genuine selling point- the idea that the teeny battery in an Apple Watch would somehow be engineered counterintuitive to this & take double the charging time of a battery at least ten times its size and storage capacity is the height of a ridiculous notion!

I would guess about an hour & would be delighted if OP is correct!
    That would mean that even 1st gen could be worn overnight, every night in addition to ALL day- as long as you don't mind charging during your shower in the a.m. & perhaps while you brush at night...

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Guess away. We'll see when it launches.

Sure, you'll get a quick booster charge in a hour, but I can't see it giving 100%. Charge a battery too forcefully and it impacts on the lifespan.

6. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

We will indeed see when it launches...
    It may in fact, quick charge to 80% in 20 minutes, but take a full 2 hours to top off a complete charge... who knows? I can say with almost full certainty though, however long it takes... it will NOT be 8 hours, as you suggested!!! As there is currently NO consumer electronics in existence that I'm aware of that have that insanely long of a charge cycle.
    Your 1st two words of your post confuse me a bit, btw... as (although quite a bit more logical than your random guess), I quite FREELY admit that mine is but a guess.
    I noticed that you did NOT temper yours with such wording... instead choosing to portray your bold, long-shot guess as fact. Since there are a lot of very astute hardware adepts that frequently post here (kdarling comes to mind...), due to that fact- many that come here expect real information & may accept your statement at face value; that is, as truth, rather than the wild guess that it is.
    I would suggest in the future NOT to masquerade your opinion as fact, thus opening oneself to being thought of as disingenuous.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I never said 8 hours. Don't put words in my (virtual) mouth.

To expand a little - I expect the intention will be that it's charged overnight as it's likely to be on the owners wrist for a typical 18 hour day. I've not conducted extensive research, but don't know of anyone who sleeps in a bed at home with their watch on their wrist, therefore overnight it's the perfect time to charge it.

Can you name another device that'll charge fully in the 20 minutes it takes to get a shower in the morning?

How about the iPod Nano? That's a similar sized Apple device.

8. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Well....

I can compare it to one MUCH larger and higher capacity & we can logically assume that it will be at least a smidge better than that, k?

The incomparable Anand of AnandTech (& now, Apple!) posted his usual ardent & scientifically accurate tech reviews last round of Apple products... turns out a FULL charge (yes! I mean from 0-100%) on a massive iPhone 6 takes the 2nd LONGEST out of all the current gen devices he tested @ 3.1 hours.

So, I think we could comfortably assume half that at most, would you agree?

Note: the smaller iPhone 6 had a charge time of 2.2 hours instead... to illustrate clearly the effect of smaller battery & battery capacity on more rapid charging times.

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

In the words of the bad guy from Under Siege II - "Assumption is the mother of all **** ups". ;)

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

11. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

So..... you think it will take 19 hours to charge?
    Wow. smh

12. lirn8 macrumors 6502

lirn8

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'll guess about 1 hour from 10%-80% which would cover most peoples daily usage. Form dead 0%-100% would probably be about 2:30. Inductive charging is a little slower (less efficient) than a wired charger, but it is a small gas tank (battery) to fill.

While I don't have a smart watch I have used MANY sports (HR/GPS) over the years and they generally take about the times I said at the most.

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Answer is in :

1.5 hours is a very long shower. :D

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....but I'm very clean.:D:D

Keep in mind that is 0% to 80%. You will probably will not be at 0% and more likely at about 20% when you start to charge. This would probably be in about an hour or less.

The wireless inductive charging is a slower less effect process than wired.