Battery charged at 98%

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jaredtomas, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

My battery often says it's charged at 98%

Is this something I should be concerned about?

2. PilotWoo macrumors regular

No unless it's new. Their ability to store charge degrades over time. Mine won't go over 98% either.

3. jaredtomas thread starter macrumors regular

jaredtomas

I forgot to mention that the Macbook is only a month old.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

have you tried calibrating your battery?
    Before you do the calibration, try unplugging your computer, let it get down to about 85% and then plug it back in and see if it goes past 98%...

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

check your battery's health, either in istatpro, or coconutbattery, or even system profiler.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

This is totally normal. You don't need to do calibrate or do anything of the sort. Trying to force it to 100% all the time will actually damage the battery.

7. MattsxB macrumors member

i had the same issue with my 2 month old macbook 98% with 25 charge cycles, I called apple care and I had a new battery within 24 hours, sent the faulty one back same day. It works great now.

8. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

My Dec '06 MB battery conked out after a month because of the issue some batteries had back then of completely dying if their charge depleted when the MB was in sleep mode. Had a brand new battery within 2 days care of AppleCare. This battery has served me well since, however, according to iStatPro the charge it holds is still at 100%, but the battery's health is at 64%. What exactly does this mean and should I be worried?

As far as I can tell there isn't anything wrong with the battery. I am aware that Li-Ion cells degrade over a period of three or four years, but my MB can still crank out 4-5hrs of usage with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled provided the screen isn't set to it's 'blinding' setting.