Battery Charger Port Problem!!! Please help...powerbook g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chitown82, Dec 3, 2007.

1. chitown82 macrumors newbie

hey everyone,

first time poster and new to the forums. i have a powerbook g4 (12") and for some reason the port on the computer where the batter charger plugs into got obstructed so that i can no longer put my charger into it to charge my battery. in short, this part needs to be replaced. the unfortunate part is that the screws on the back of the computer that hold the panel in place are totally bent and unscrewable. so im left with a situation where i cant repair this problem and i still need to use my computer and access my data. is there any external battery charger available for the g4? this would be ideal as i would be able to use my computer. alternatively i wanted to buy a used g4 online (ebay for instance) to charge my battery but they are too expensive to justify the prices. normally i would just buy a new computer but i hear that apple is coming out with an ultraportable laptop sometime first quarter of next year so i want to wait for that. any suggestions or help would be appreciated....im pretty desperate here. anyone know of a way to externally charge batteries????

thanks.

2. lurice0 macrumors newbie

i have the same problem

my powerbook g4 17 inch had a problem with the piece of the charger breaking off inside the charger port, which sounds like what happened to you. i took it apart and the phone jack&usb port are all on the same little green chip&you can remove it after you move the speaker & disconnect a few little things. you say ur screws bent up, that sucks, google tips on that or break it or something. Anyways i removed the charger port and got the metal piece out, but it didn't fix the problem, even with a new charger. SO-i got 2 new batteries and an external battery charger off ebay. so yes they make external battery chargers for the mac g4. Now my batteries are being rotated about every 1.5-2 hours and it kinda sucks. I'd like to replace the charger port so let me know what you did if you still have the problem or not.:apple: