Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I charge my battery over night but since the iPhone must remain on the power is drawing to it all night. Is this harmful to the battery in anyway to keep it plugged in for so long every night?

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
No, once the battery is fully charged, it runs off of the AC power instead of the battery power.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Yup, same here. Mine would barely last 2 days, so why worry about the battery life... I just charge it every night - all night. Except on the weekends.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Just make sure that you run the battery down as far as the phone will let you and then recharge it to 100% somewhere between at least once a year and once a month. The OS software that draws that little battery gauge icon needs to occasionally see those endpoints to set its calibration accurately.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
As others have said, you have nothing to worry about. I keep mine at a dock when I'm at my desk at work and often leave it on a dock at home at night. It'll run off AC power once fully charged...

Bryan

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
since when does your phone have to remain on to charge it? I just put it on the charger... turn off the phone and walk away... it's fully charged when I wake up

Bengel - the iPhone battery is Lithium based meaning it doesn't have the memory effect... you're thinking about NiCad rechargeable batteries that have a memory which can be affected by charging early... as mentioned Lithium's do not have such a problem...

Apple suggests to drain the battery to 10% then do a full charge once a month to have optimal battery life... The only real way to harm your battery is to do a complete drain then not charge straight away... your phone does have a 5-10% reserve that needs to be sustained..

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
good to know. i discharge (until it shuts itself off) my iPhone once a month and put it on the charger right away. but i guess i really don't have to wait until it shuts itself off to do this.

i am paranoid, my old iBook G4 battery is a mess, can't even hold a charge and i rarely discharged that batt. my new Macbook Pro is doing ok but i'm trying to discharge it a few times a year...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
actually you can expand the life of your battery by only charging it when its dead

No. That actually shortens the life of the battery. There's tons of information about Lithium Ion Batteries... They only have a limited amount of charge cycles. 1 charge cycle is running it all the way down, and then back up again. But, if you run it down half way, charge to 100% and then run it down half way again... that equals 1 charge cycle as well.

You only have to run it down to 0% once to calibrate the battery indicator.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.