Battery charging problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oujea, Mar 16, 2012.

1. oujea macrumors newbie

Hello

I have Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard OS, and I have some problems with battery charging: it won't charge above 35-38%. Here is coconut battery screenshot:

[​IMG]

It charges normal untill 38%, and then it says "battery is not charging", and led on the magsafe is green. Battery has only 2 cycles.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC. Also, see the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Run the MBP until it turns itself off due to battery depletion. Leave the MBP in this state for 5 hours. Then, charge the MBP fully to 100% and leave plugged in for a further 2 hours. This fully calibrates the battery.

You can use the machine whilst charging back up from 5 hour sleep.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, you leave it fully charged and plugged in before draining, not after. See the CALIBRATION section of the Battery FAQ I posted for the exact procedure.

5. oujea thread starter macrumors newbie

resetting SMC did not help, I already tried that.

And I tried to use it on battery until computer turns off last night, and it was in that state (fully empty) during the night, and today I plugged it to magsafe, it has been charging until 33% (1766 mAh) and it stopped charging again. And I can not leave it fully charged because it stops charging on 35% (1766 mAh out of 5200)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not calibration. See the Battery FAQ for the proper procedure.
    Did you check out the MagSafe adapter, as suggested? Do you have another adapter you can try? Are you sure the battery is properly seated, with clean connectors?

7. oujea thread starter macrumors newbie

battery is new, and a have not checked contacts, but i guess they're good. i'll check the procedure again, but it says battery must be fully charged, but I CAN NOT charge it to more than 38%. :\

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... and the MagSafe adapter? You still haven't said if you've followed the troubleshooting guide for that, or if you can try another adapter.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Based on the OP's screen, I'm going to say the battery is ruined. I mean, 2 cycles in 51 months!!

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless the OP just bought a replacement battery for their 51-month old MBP. Remember, that's the age of the Mac, not the battery. If, indeed, the battery is original with only 2 cycles, it's toast.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Ah, he didn't mention it was new until the 3rd post. :eek:

12. oujea thread starter macrumors newbie

Magsafe seems to be good too... And battery is new, I bought it 2 days ago.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you've verified the MagSafe is not faulty and securely connected, and if you've verified the battery is securely connected, and if you've reset the SMC properly, the only thing left to do is take it to Apple. You may have a defective battery. You didn't, by any chance, buy a non-Apple battery, did you? That would explain the problem.

14. oujea thread starter macrumors newbie

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Cool. Take it to Apple. They can test to see if it's defective and replace it, if it is.

16. oujea thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I bought it on eBay, and there is no any official apple dealership where I live (Bosnia and Herzegovina).

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Then it's doubtful it's an Apple battery. You could try to see if you can return it, then buy a real Apple battery from Apple or Amazon.

18. oujea thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, I bought it from the US, and it was 99 USD + 34 USD shipping. There were a lot of batteries for about 35 USD with free shipping from China or Hong Kong, but I bought that one with MacBook pro 15'' oem battery label.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It might be legit, but there are way too many cases of "knockoff" batteries being sold on eBay, which have many reported problems. Try returning it for a replacement or refund. If you can get a refund, then go to Apple to buy a replacement, so you're certain that what you're getting is legit, and backed by Apple's reputation. That's my best recommendation.

20. oujea thread starter macrumors newbie

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most likely, yes. You've eliminated other possibilities.