Battery-charging question. How to?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drewjonn, Jun 15, 2016.

1. drewjonn, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016

drewjonn macrumors regular

So, what would be the best range of battery percentage and when is the most ideal time to charge your Macbook. (if you're going to say anytime is the same, please gtfo of this post)

I never let my battery down to a level below 40%, usually I do it when it hits 50% and charge it to 100%, but I just read that it is best to charge at around 40% and stop at around 80%. I know it is best to never let my gadgets reach 0% before recharging, but not doing it till' full? Is it also perfectly safe to let it charge overnight?

I am trying to make the best out of my Mac's battery life and I have never went below 30% as far as I remembered. Does it also work the same to other gadgets like iPhone or iPad?

Explanations would be much appreciated ;) (Btw, it is a 2015 rMBP)

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

Too much work. The device will shutdown before the battery get too low. Just stick the charger on it when you need it.

I just stick mine on the charger when I am in the office. 2011 and still on original battery with good battery life.

3. drewjonn thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't really answer my question, especially your second line. What I would know is when should I plug and unplug it, 100% or less? I know that it is best to not reach anything below 20% but charge to full or not? and should I charge overnight or unplug it after it's full is what I'm looking for here.

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

5. jerryk macrumors 68020

I never sit there and watch mine charge. I throw it on the charger and walk away. It might be at 100% for hours or days by the time I get back. I have not had any adverse effects from doing this since 2011.

6. robvas macrumors 68020

Don't run it below 10% and there's no 'high' limit to charging it.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

Consider this:

If you never let it drop below 40 % and never charge to above 80 %, you can effectively only get 40 % battery life out of your machine. So if its total battery life is 10 hours, you're purposely restricting yourself to a battery life of only 4 hours.
    If your intention is to observe these practices in order to keep the battery in good health and its life high, you're engaging in a completely futile project as you would get far longer battery life by just using it to its full 100 % potential.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Its a modern battery with a state of the art charger that does all this crap for you. Plug it in when you need to, use the battery as much as you need to, leave it plugged in as long as you need to. Stop worrying, your actions won't make ANY difference to the final battery life you get. Many threads cover this, there is zero benefit to manual battery management and hasn't been for the last 5yrs or so at least...

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Just use the darn thing. Battery is a consumable component. If it needs to be changed then change it!

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

LOL!

It would be best to let you just keep doing what you are doing the rest of your computing life as you do not want to hear that you can just charge it whenever you want. To make it last the longest, keep it plugged in while using it.

Enjoy!