Battery charging time fix?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iDrew87, Mar 23, 2012.

1. iDrew87 macrumors member

Hey all, I wonder if it's ever possible that Apple could make a fix of some sort to speed up charging time by doing something I don't know an update to the device to improve speeding up the charge? I am aware the battery is HUGE! and it lasted brilliantly.

I love my new iPad, no issues with it at all, it's only con is the painfully long charging time

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

How long is "painfully long" for you? Mine went from 5% to 100% in 6 hours last night. That's longer than the previous model, but not totally unreasonable.

C

3. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

I know I haven't been able to actually use my iPad unless it's plugged in because every time I use it still charging had no it's supposed to be mobile device but I'm only using it plugged in my laptop so kind I don't get your the purpose of a apple needs to fix this issue ASAP would give us some kind of refund or something cause ridiculous I mean I'm able to use the iPad as an actual iPad now

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

I can't be the only person who can't understand what you're trying to say (it makes no sense). All I can discern is that you're somehow unhappy. So return it.

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I stick mine on the dock whenever I'm not using it. Charging is not an issue for me. If it gets down to less than 20% I just leave it on the dock over night. Six hours is enough to charge it fully and then it's ready to go for another 9 - 10 hours.

Look, the novelty of the device will wear off over time. If you're really using the thing 10 hours a day every day you might want to put it down and go outside once in a while. I'd guess that most people probably get somewhere between 3 and 5 hours of use each day once the honeymoon period is over.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

There's nothing wrong with the battery charging times, so there's no need for a "fix."

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I certainly couldn't!

8. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure that in the coming year, Apple will offer a portable nuclear cell that will keep iPads continuously charged.

Nine hours of use seems pretty good to me. It's enough for me to fly across the country and watch a couple of movies in the process and still have juice left over to work on manuscripts and emails I can send off when we land.

I just sold a nice MacBook Pro to pay for my new iPad. The MBP is a much better "computer," of course, but it is significantly heavier, bulkier and doesn't last as long on batteries. I can fit my new iPad and its Zagg folio case into the pocket of the seatback in front of me, and easily use it on the tray table. That wasn't so easy with my MBP.

9. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Is that all one sentence?:p

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

From what I understand, you're charging it using your laptop? No wonder it's taking so long. Try plugging it into a wall outlet and leaving it alone for a few hours. Maybe in the time it's taking to charge, you can brush up on your grammar and punctuation skills?

13. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

The only thing I can think of is if apple made a more powerful charger.

14. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I asked my wife who is so non-techie it's not even funny, if 25% after about 1 and half was good. She said "seems like something is wrong to me". I can only image how many more "average consumers" would agree.

For the record, I understand why it takes that long and it doesn't bother me at all.

15. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That may or may not work - depends on how much current the battery management circuit can handle. If it maxes out at 2.1 amps, a more powerful charger won't change anything.

How about adding solar panels, a smart cover that doubles as a wind turbine, fuel cell, and a radio isotope thermo electric generator? Only a mild increase in production costs, but far better run times. :D

16. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

Are the people who are having charge issues utilising the BUNDLED charger that came with your iPad - or are you using your iPhone chargers??

I believe that it does make a difference.

If anybody could confirm this I would appreciate it !!

17. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

The iPad 3rd gen battery is twice the capa ity of he iPad 2 battery but takes only 6 hours compared to the iPad 2's 4 hour charge. I think that hat alone is fairly impressive, don't you?

18. stephg macrumors member

stephg

I do what I always did with my ipad1 - plug it in at night. The battery lasts me all day, and I use it a lot. I'm not really seeing a problem here.

19. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I've had mine since launch day and have had zero issues with the charge time. I plug it in before I goto bed and unplug it at 7am always full charge. I'm on a road trip currently and been surfing on lte for over an hour and it just went to 99% as I'm typing this post.

20. daffy67 macrumors newbie

Could be my issue, did my first recharge and it took 7 hrs, went from 22% to 92% and I was using the IPhone charger. Next recharge will be with bundled charger.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The little wall brick is 10 watts. I'm assuming more wattage would make it faster. I don't think there's a way to increase the power over USB unless everything involved is USB 3 capable.

22. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Bundled charger is 10w iPhone charger is 5w def the issue

23. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Good point.

It absolutely makes a difference. I would think it would take forever to charge using the iPhone charger.

I'd pay $30-$40 if Apple came out with more powerful charger. But as Big TDI Guy pointed out, that may not be possible.

24. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

It isn't really surprising that it takes a long time to charge. I was a little surprised that Apple didn't create a new faster premium charger available for a mere 69. Something like that would have sold very well.

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Would you be willing to sacrifice your batteries health in order for it to charge faster?

The more power you put into the batteries in order to decrease its charging time, the faster you will need to replace the battery/shell out the $299 for an replacement iPad.

To people who replace the iPad every year, that may not be an issue. But, to people who plan to keep their iPad for more than an year, they may not want to take that sacrifice to save 1-2 hours of charging time.....