Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Texas
I need something to last me through college classes on battery so I'm planning on purchasing either a MBP 13 or 15. Probably refurbished.
So whatever size I choose I have the option of a 2010 model and a 2011 model.
I'm assuming 2010 and 2011 will have different software, I've been hearing bad battery life with Lion and it sorta worries me.

So:
What has better battery life - 13inch or 15 inch?

What has better battery life - Old software vs new?

Also, if I go for the 15 inch: April 2010 has 2.53GHz i5 & graphics of NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics with 256MB of GDDR3 memory while the Feb 2011 has 2.0GHz i7 & Intel HD Graphics 3000 & AMD Radeon HD 6490M, for $100 more. - Huge difference between the two?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What has better battery life - 13inch or 15 inch?
What has better battery life - Old software vs new?
Your battery life is dependent on many factors other than the model or OS version you're running. Read the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Texas
Your battery life is dependent on many factors other than the model or OS version you're running. Read the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Thanks but I wasnt asking how to keep a charge or how to get the most life out of the battery.
I'm looking for more realistic actual experience with owners who have had either a 13 or 15 MBP
and which one had the best battery life in average days use.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks but I wasnt asking how to keep a charge or how to get the most life out of the battery.
I'm looking for more realistic actual experience with owners who have had either a 13 or 15 MBP
and which one had the best battery life in average days use.
That's the point. Every user is different, so there's no effective way to compare, since so many factors influence battery life. A 13" or 15" user could say they get terrible battery life, but their configuration may put more demands on their battery than you would. Likewise, they may claim great battery life, but yours will be less, based on how you use your system. Once you move beyond quoted specs and into real-world usage, there are simply too many variables to make comparisons useful.

miker2209

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
If your main concern is battery then i say get the 2010, it holds much more charge than the 2011. Get SL on the 2010 Lion does take up abit more battery, as for 13 or 15 they are both the same. The 15 have more charge so it will last as long as a 13.

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Texas
If your main concern is battery then i say get the 2010, it holds much more charge than the 2011. Get SL on the 2010 Lion does take up abit more battery, as for 13 or 15 they are both the same. The 15 have more charge so it will last as long as a 13.

This is more what I'm looking for, Thank you :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.