Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Hi all, I am thinking about upgrading from my Series 7 to Series 9 and I'm wondering if the battery is any better on the 9. I'm averaging about 3-4% drain per hour. Tempted by the Watch Ultra but the price is so high that I was thinking if I can somehow swing 2-3% drain per hour, that would be more ideal.

Thank you!

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Hi all, I am thinking about upgrading from my Series 7 to Series 9 and I'm wondering if the battery is any better on the 9. I'm averaging about 3-4% drain per hour. Tempted by the Watch Ultra but the price is so high that I was thinking if I can somehow swing 2-3% drain per hour, that would be more ideal.

Thank you!
My Series 9 Apple watch was at 45% this morning when I put it on the charger after 24-hours of use (screen off during sleep). I'd forgotten how much better a new battery is than the 81% health of the battery in my Series 7.

According to the Battery Grapher watch app, I'm using 3%/hour.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
My Series 9 Apple watch was at 45% this morning when I put it on the charger after 24-hours of use (screen off during sleep). I'd forgotten how much better a new battery is than the 81% health of the battery in my Series 7.

According to the Battery Grapher watch app, I'm using 3%/hour.

Nice! Yeah my S7 is currently at 85% after being off the charger for 4 hours. Yikes!

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

Thank you!
Apple states 18hrs for S9 and has been for all AWs since S0, and as far as I cn tell battery capacity is the same too between S7 and S9. Battery life so depends on your usage ... you might see a few percent better, or not

Reactions: 3Rock and mjschabow

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Yeah the posts and points above is what‘s kept me on the S7 still, I‘d like to upgrade but not when there is so much of a chance that I see little to no improvement.

About the % per hour, it’s a good measurement for some purposes perhaps, but it seems like 3% / hour is reasonable, 4% too even. More than 1-2% beyond that is certainly more of a “drain,” but 3-4% per hour seems normal, inevitable. That’s 36-48% over an 8am to 8pm period. None of this is to say or imply that I’m happy with the situation, far from it. Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: mjschabow

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Almost no battery improvement for me when using the S9 (returned the Hermes version after a week) compared to the S7. Ultimately decided on the Ultra again, because I need more than 12-14 hours of battery life that I was getting with the S7/9.

Reactions: Belvoire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.