Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Was the Battery Condition indicator in Leopard or is that a new feature in Snow Leopard? Pretty cool regardless!

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
On my MacBook Pro, it shows up if I click in the battery indicator on the menu bar, or if I go to Energy Saver in System Preferences. Granted, mine says Replace Now, which I was kind of aware of (45 minutes of battery life...) so maybe it doesn't show anything if your battery is ok? Just checked a Leopard machine, and it definitely appears to be a nice new feature!

broken-chaos

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's a new feature in the battery area. I believe you could find the info in the System Profiler in Leopard (under Power).

And yes, it only appears when there's a problem.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
speaking of battery in snow leopard

when you guys click the battery icon on the top right. What does the drop down say?

mine only has:

Battery is Charged
Power Source: Charger/Battery
Show ->
and Energy Saver Preferences

whatever happen to changing to 'save battery life' or 'Max battery'
or something like that.
do you guys have that?

broken-chaos

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
whatever happen to changing to 'save battery life' or 'Max battery'
or something like that.
do you guys have that?
These presets seem to have been removed in favour of one group of settings for "on battery" and one group of settings for "on power". They can be edited individually, and I imagine they'll work just fine overall. The differences between 'save power' and 'high performance' weren't all that notable or useful in Leopard, aside from being able to quickly disable sleep mode.

Does anybody get 'Service Battery', it's a little worrying!
This probably means your battery is not holding a charge very well, likely due to age. You can check the System Profiler (the Power section) for more details, or try out coconutBattery. If you're still under AppleCare, you could alternately just give them a call.

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
healthy batteries can get this too if you option+click the indicator. Works on sound and wireless too, to report extra info. It was recently posted on macosxhints :)

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
If you click the exclamation point next to where it says Service Battery, OS X help will appear and tell you what the meaning is, which is get a new battery. Given how bad my battery life is and it only says Replace Now, I can't imagine how bad your time must be!

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Take the condition indicator with a grain of salt. After installing Snow Leopard, I was greeted to this new feature with the warning "Service Battery". The next day I went to go and use my laptop and it wouldn't even show up. Once I figured out the option click trick, it now tells me the battery is "Normal" condition... lol Still, it's a neat feature!:D

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It only shows up when your battery is dying and needs of a replacement.

My MacBook Pro shows it and my health is on 100% still after 51 cycles, it's definitely not dying. When I click the battery on the menu bar it says "Condition: Normal". I'll even post a screenshot when I get home if you really want.

nakuku

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
My MacBook Pro shows it and my health is on 100% still after 51 cycles, it's definitely not dying. When I click the battery on the menu bar it says "Condition: Normal". I'll even post a screenshot when I get home if you really want.

are you using snow leopard?

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Anyone who is getting a "Service Battery" notification in Snow Leopard and has a laptop which is STILL under warranty: Go to an Apple store! I signed up for a genius bar appointment because I wanted to see what they would do. I took my mbp in the other day and told the genius what was going on. He booted it from an iPod nano, checked my serial to make sure it was still under warranty and about 3 minutes later said "Yep, It's bad". He checked the sku of my battery to see if it was in stock, it was, and he came out with a brand new battery. 98% of original capacity, 0 load cycles, my laptop is nearly 2 years old and my battery is 0. Thank you Apple Care! :D:apple:

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Well, I've updated to 10.6.3 and nothing. I even tried doing a complete reformat and for a couple of weeks I didn't get the message. But just sometime during the past couple days, it showed up again and has not gone away since. I don't get it. I baby the crap out of my battery. Unless I got a bad egg, this must be a software problem. Come on Apple! Please help us!

I know this is an old thread, but it's still a problem at least for me. Am I the only one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.