Battery Conditioning Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LarryJoe33, Mar 9, 2018.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65832

LarryJoe33

I am in the middle of conditioning my new iFixit battery. These are the steps I am taking per the video on the OWC site:

After install of battery:

Shut computer all the way down

Plug in power Adapter (light should turn amber)

Light should turn green after 100% charge

Leave it connected for at least two more hours (it’s ok to use computer during these two hours)

After at least two hours, remove all power saving settings under energy for both Battery and Power (slide to right and uncheck boxes)

Disconnect power cable and let battery drain, can use but not anything heavy)

Let drain until computer automatically shuts down then power off

Leave it shut down for at least 5 hours until battery is completely drained

Attach power cable until battery is at 100% (can use computer while it is charging)

Once battery is completely charged the calibration is complete

Set energy saving settings to what they were before

Check battery information under system report/coconut

My question is on the step in bold above. Is it still "running" after a full battery drain and if so, how would I shut it down on a machine that appears to dead with no interface? Power button?

2. Adam.Kb2Jpd macrumors member

Yes. The OS will detect when the voltage goes down past a certain point and cause a orderly shutdown.

3. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65832

LarryJoe33

Thanks, so it is actually shut down and not in some type of extra deep sleep?

I am way overthinking this conditioning process but I want to get it right. I splurged for a good battery this time and want solid results.

4. adamh10 macrumors member

adamh10

I believe you're overthinking the conditioning process.

While I let mine die completely before charging, I don't do all the other complicated steps and according to coconut battery after five months my battery is still at 99.99% of it's original capacity.