battery connector and logic board replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ninerdyhrd, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ninerdyhrd macrumors newbie

I recently had a problem where my 13" 3 yr old macbook would just blink off. then it became shorter and shorter until it would not start up. i brought it to apple who told me after inspection that it had liquid damage and the battery connector and logic board needed to be replaced for an astounding 800+ dollars. the book only cost me 1100!! i got the book back (obviously i didnt pay that, i am sane!), i fiddled with it by trying to start with just the battery. no response. with the battery and charger. starts for just seconds. and then with just the charger. walla! starts up and runs like new. am i crazy or is that estimate slightly (largely!) inflated, and can there be an easier fix?

2. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Does the batter show a full charge or does the last light flash really fast?

So you are saying the macbook runs just fine with the ac adapter plugged in with no battery?

3. ninerdyhrd thread starter macrumors newbie

when you plug the charger in with the battery it starts yellow, and the goes green, even though the battery is not fully charged. the computer runs perfect with the battery removed and the charger plugged in. if you close the computer though, it will not sleep but shuts down.

4. ninerdyhrd thread starter macrumors newbie

i took the battery from the laptop in question and put it in my other macbook and it takes a full charge with no blinking lights. i explained the circumstances to an outside mac dealer and they say its the logic board and and the power management unit on the logic board. their estimate including labor, tax etc. is 550 bucks. apples argument is that they dont send the computer back unless it is pristine. i guess im just bummed that i have bought 9 apple computers in my lifetime including 3 laptops from this dealer and they just dont cut a break. they lost a good customer. ill never buy another mac just out of spite!!