iPhone 7(+) Battery couldn't be replaced

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qtrim, Mar 8, 2018.

1. qtrim macrumors 6502

qtrim

I live a few hours from the nearest Apple Store, so I sent my iPhone 7 in for the $29 battery replacement, I figured, why not if it's only $29. Got an email a few days later that said it would cost $329 to replace with a refurb. When I got on chat with the actual repair location they said:

"There was damage found in the device that could cause a safety issue if a new battery is installed. This is why the device is un-repairable. We can replace the phone altogether for $319. We can also return the device without replacing the battery and refunding the $29 plus shipping that you have already paid."

They couldn't provide any more details. Has anyone every heard of that happening? When I sent it in it was working good other than the battery life being down some.

I just asked that they return it. I was just trying to get a fresh battery while it was only $29.

2. ericwn macrumors 68020

Did you ask them to provide you with proof for their point?

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

So you were having no performance issues with your phone but sent it in to get a battery for no reason other than what the hell? If the phone was fine before you sent it in, just ask for it back and keep using it. I can only speculate at the reason they declined the repair, it could be a tripped moisture indicator who knows. Just take it to a store directly when you’re near one

4. PPopMatt macrumors newbie

PPopMatt

When I brought in my Phone 6 weeks ago for the $29 battery in person, the "genius" looked for and noted any denting, and water damage. There's a water sensor under the chip..

If you had any structural, or water damage, you're t.s.o.l. except that they gave you the option for a $349 refurbished "same model" replacement.

Maybe you can take it to a indie repair shop. Apple is very picky about what they repair, as they have "liabilities", but what they really want is your $1000 bucks!

My only options were to fix my non damaged failed batter iP6, buy a new $800-$1100 new phone.., so I opted for a new screen and a new battery for under $200 total and am now happy!

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

OP,

As frustrating as it may be, I don't think Apple was trying to rip you off. Sounds like there was internal damage you weren't aware of (for whatever reason). It is good that Apple was looking out for your safety.

6. qtrim thread starter macrumors 6502

qtrim

I agree, I don't think they were. I just wondered if anyone else had the same experience