Battery Cover has play (New Macbook Pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star-fire, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Star-fire macrumors 6502

Is this the way the cover is supposed to be? I just bought a late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.53 and the battery cover has play in it when it's latched, you can slide it back and forth some. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this or not?

Thanks!

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Mine slides back and forth a bit too. Not that surprising, as it's held on by a single latch. It doesn't hurt anything, so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Bitslong macrumors newbie

No issues on my 2.4, opened a few times.

4. sselemit macrumors member

by "you can slide it back and forth some" mean, i assume that it is loose. And looseness has never been a good thing in electronic. Go exchange it. Good luck. :D

5. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I can slide mine just a tiny bit (half a mm to a mm), but it takes actually trying to move it with my hands to do it.

Just having it sitting in my lap moving around or on a desk moving it around and it doesn't move. It doesn't make any noise as if it's clanking around loosely. And it'll be a rarity to get one that's going to be 100% perfectly flush.

Now if it actually sags vertically (like some of the MB's have shown) or is loose enough that it actually makes noise and shifts quite freely, then I would exchange it.

But like I said, I can slide mine a little, but it's very snug, and therefore nothing to worry about.

6. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I completely agree with kntgsp. Mine can move a little bit, but its not at all noticeable and it doesn't do it unless I try to. The battery in both previous MacBook Pros I have owned had some play to them as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Nebz77 macrumors newbie

Simple Fix

Just take the battery cover off and then on the back side there are a few little clips, I found that one of my clips was bent a little, so just push it forward a bit and then put the cover back on. presto! Its supertight now :D
    YMMV

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Mine has a lot of play. As in I can feel it when I pick it up and I don't have to try to get it to move (if I stand it on its side it will slide back and forth) and the gap is certainly big enough for a good amount of crud to get in. I'm a bit upset by it, I feel you pain.

9. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

My unscientific test was 4 out of 8 of the demo's (MB and MBP) at my local Apple store had too much "play" I talked to a manager abt it and he said they notified Apple headquarters and were working on fixing it, at least in future production. He also said MBP buyers reported it more but probably they are more sensitive to the issue because they pay more and expect more quality.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The battery cover on my keitai does the same....
    I just tape it down. Everything else works without a glitch. Why worry?

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i got mine exchange for that.. now it doesn't move one bit ;)

12. loganpyle macrumors member

mine also slides. i called applecare on monday, and they're supposed to be sending me a box to ship my MBP back to them in, and they're giving me a brand new one.

has anyone else done this? they said they were going to overnight me the package to send mine back, but i still haven't received it.

13. Nebz77 macrumors newbie

Just try it?

Honestly, just try tightening the clips! Its way less hassle than returning the entire thing just for a loose cover.

14. bodhisattva macrumors member

I just received my 2.8 MBP, and as well noticed both the trackpad was slightly raised on one side, and the battery cover offset slightly. I didn't experience in play side-to-side in the cover, but the superdrive side had slight edge sticking up. More of an irritation than anything. I took the previous posters suggestion and simply pushed the connection point on that side in slightly toward the center of the cover. After a few experimental tries I have it as close to perfect as I think I can get. No play and the edge is hairline. I did notice the actual flex of the metal itself produces this hairline as well when carrying, so not too worried about it. Seems as if all demo models at the Apple store were same. Looks like a slighly thicker metal, combined with tighter adjustments on the latches will correct the issue.. not hardly worth sending back to Apple and risking the exact same thing in return.. considering all models at the store are similar. If recalled at one point that's one thing.. but with the risk of 7/10 being the same way.. I can live with it.