Battery cover latch won't close - Unibody Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcarvin, Dec 21, 2008.

1. mcarvin macrumors regular

Hey all,

Picked up a unibody last Saturday night, and opened the battery cover tonight. The latch was opened with little resistance, but now won't close. The latch edge sits about 1/8" up, and I can't find anything which would seem to prevent it from closing.

Anyone else had a troublesome battery latch, and how did you resolve it?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Are you sure you got it back on right? It's a bit trickier than it looks. You have to put the back edge in first, then press down and kind of rock it back into place. It takes a bit of pressure. Don't force it, but do remember it won't go easily. I've found with mine if the latch won't close, that's a sure sign you put it on wrong, no matter how much you thought otherwise.

3. mcarvin thread starter macrumors regular

I thought I was following the directions on pg. 36 of the MBP manual - leading edge in first, then lay the inside edge down right next to the latch. Let me try it your way real quick, bearing your advice in mind.

[edit] Problem solved. You were right on, every word. Thanks a lot!

4. matv78 macrumors newbie

Thanks

I just got a MBP yesterday. Had the same advise.

you have to squeeze back a little bit on the latch and make sure it is really secure at an angle first and after there is no space between the edge of the back of the battery panel and the MBP then push the front down.

thanks for advise !

5. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Does this solution resolve the "loose fitting" battery cover issue that people were complaining about recently?

6. Newton63 macrumors newbie

Battery Cover

Yes, for such a nicely milled machine, the battery cover seems cheap. Even once fitted into place it's not completely flush. A little nudging seems to fit it after doing the alignment the previous poster mentioned but I think it to be a design issue they should have worked out. Maybe they have on the MBP. Mine is a Macbook Aluminum Unibody 2.4 Ghz. Given the other posts I don't feel so bad.